multitasking

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

multitasking

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:56 pm

Hello, everyone. Our new topic about multitasking come again. This time please read the passage from the linkage http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2014/10/08/multitasking-damages-your-brain-and-career-new-studies-suggest/ and show your own ideas to create a heated discussion. Thank you.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://fudan-mba.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Yin Hong on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Multitasking makes me exausted and from time to time i just want to quit everything and stay alone to re-settle my mind. Otherwise, i would become crazy and short tempered.

Yin Hong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LI GANG on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 am

Everything has its two sides. Multitasking is no exception. We should be single thread processing complex work. Multitasking in simple work

Disadvantage
1. Waste time
If you do a lot of complicated work at the same time,You are likely to make mistakes. Make a mistake cause you to do the work again. So you wasted your time and life. So when making complex work, we had better do it wholeheartedly
2. Lose focus
Studies have shown that the brain can only do one thing at a time. When you look at multitasking,in fact you just quickly switch between different things. When you frequently switch work, you will find yourself become harder to concentrate on one thing. Lose concentration will make you losing the ability to discover the nature of things.

Advantage
1. To deal with the simple work together
There are many simple little works in our lives. It will take time when we handle it separately. So put it together and finish them at once. It is a good way to develop our effective.

2. Different types of work can be bring inspiration to you
When we face the thought bubbles,It is difficult to break through the original box. Multitasking
Seems efficient, but it may lead to different ideas.

LI GANG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PENG, YAJUAN on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:52 am

I believe most of us find "multitasking" annoying at work, however in most cases, we have no choice but to crack it, as we are supposed to be "productive". I bet most of the classmates are trying to be focused after Professor Ali's courses.

In addition to giving priorities to daily work as always, I tried to get my daily life "single-tasking", and found it amazing.

I used to listen to the music while running, and out of curiosity, I once tried to watch the movie on iPad while running, which is quite common in most gym centers in China, I suppose. I really felt bad that time; I don't know how those iPad runners feel, to me, I felt more tired than before, both mentally and physically. Therefore, I didn't give it a second shot.

After reading some running tips, I understood that "be focused on your breath and muscle movement" will your improve running performance, so I quitted iPod and practiced relevant tips. I felt so good. Further, since last month, I began to use a 3:2 inhale-exhale ratio (prior to which, it was 2:2 ratio), and got my 8km-running record improved (00h53m12s) after one-month break, fantastic! What's more, I didn't feel tired and had a sound sleep that night.

Therefore, I strongly recommend you be a focused runner, and try to avoid running or other strenuous exercise after sunset, according to traditional Chinese medical theories.

Cheers!

PENG, YAJUAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yin Hong on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:48 pm

I used to have an illusion that multi-tasking can bring efficiency. But the reality is it kills efficiency and exhausts your energy. And you can never be proactive but reactive when you are handling different things in the same time.

Yin Hong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chen Yonglei on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:01 am

Stephanie Peng wrote:I believe most of us find "multitasking" annoying at work, however in most cases, we have no choice but to crack it, as we are supposed to be "productive". I bet most of the classmates are trying to be focused after Professor Ali's courses.

In addition to giving priorities to daily work as always, I tried to get my daily life "single-tasking", and found it amazing.

I used to listen to the music while running, and out of curiosity, I once tried to watch the movie on iPad while running, which is quite common in most gym centers in China, I suppose. I really felt bad that time; I don't know how those iPad runners feel, to me, I felt more tired than before, both mentally and physically. Therefore, I didn't give it a second shot.

After reading some running tips, I understood that "be focused on your breath and muscle movement" will your improve running performance, so I quitted iPod and practiced relevant tips. I felt so good. Further, since last month, I began to use a 3:2 inhale-exhale ratio (prior to which, it was 2:2 ratio), and got my 8km-running record improved  (00h53m12s) after one-month break, fantastic! What's more, I didn't feel tired and had a sound sleep that night.

Therefore, I strongly recommend you be a focused runner, and try to avoid running or other strenuous exercise after sunset, according to traditional Chinese medical theories.

Cheers!

As a sports enthusiast, I totall agree on your opinion HERE about BE A FOCUSED RUNNER.

You see most of runners and joggers who listen music while running or jogging are actually focus only on running or jogging;what they are listening is just a rhythem and melody to release their dullness and boredom and give them passion during the activity.

I also had tried to watch ipad while jogging, but i failed to do that, because when you run hard, you need to balance your breath and restore your equilibrium. Thus, you don't have extra capability of thinking what the soap opera talking about.You will just loss the logic.

Chen Yonglei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chen Yonglei on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:45 am

I will have to define what the MULTITASKING means here before posting my oponion.

As my understanding, there are two kinds of  multitasking. 1) You do lots of things simultaneously but only one thing you need to focus on. 2) You do lots of things simultaneously but two or more tasks you need to focus at a time.

If you are doing things at a time in category 1, I can guarantee you are a highly efficient person. For example, if you have 3  tasks in 30 mintues, washing clothes, boiling water and mopping the floor, then you can do them at same time, because washing clothes and boiling water don't require you to keep focusing all the time, instead you just preset time, and machines will do the rest.

If you are doing things at a time in category 2, then things will mess up. I even don't need to take examples.

But for some kinds of jobs, people intentionally foster such ability, such as pianist and interpreter. A talented pianist require his/her hands in a different pace, one hand, for example, needs a rate of 60 notes/min, while another hand needs a rate of 180 notes/min, so the ability needs to be continuously and hard  practised, and their brain will also change itself with time passed.

Most of us are normal persons and are not trained, and can only focus on one thing at a time, so we need to aviod multitasks not to damage your  brain and career.

Show some repect to yourself and others. Try your best not to multitasking in category 2! study

Chen Yonglei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GB-Bao Xuejing on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Chen Yonglei wrote:As my understanding, there are two kinds of  multitasking. 1) You do lots of things simultaneously but only one thing you need to focus on. 2) You do lots of things simultaneously but two or more tasks you need to focus at a time.
cheers

I like your definition. I agree that the first category is a competitive capability of people, because preset the order of things require the accurate judgment and rigorous logic.

While the latter, which is actually mean in the article, always piss one off. Before reading the article, I didn’t know this kind of multitasking will damage people’s brain. Nevertheless, I hate interruption when I am focusing on a work. The interruption, I think, makes one have to switch train of thought and lead the inefficiency.

BTW, to write the essays of CBI, I chose to stay in the company after work, the 2-3 hours of alone made me efficient and fulfilled.
Laughing

GB-Bao Xuejing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HONG Na on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:37 am

As a professional headhunter, multitasking is usually one of the key requirements described in Job Disruption.  If the candidate is good at multitasking, she/he must be extremely efficient and able to work well under pressure. That’s why most in-house HR and line managers are in favor of multitasking. However, is it true?

When working for HSBC China, I reported to Assistant Manager directly and with a dotted line to Department Manager. But my job efficiency declined while multitasking, as compared to when I concentrated on a single task at a time. In addition, it was inevitable to make some mistakes when a job requires a lot of attention and thinking. And my braid did need more time to process the information. Moreover, sometime I was upset and felt stress and anxiety for my less productivity due to multi-tasking.

As far as I known, a computer can be multi-tasking to performance various tasks simultaneously. Hence, I tried to prioritize my jobs and work out a systematical schedule. But I did not make it and always behind the schedule. What I did not expect was that a lot of information to be collected and processed before making any decisions in such a changing and challenging environment.

Hence, what I have learned is not to multi-task and it is definitely not a key to success. Otherwise, none of jobs could be done properly on time.

How do you handle multi-tasking? Any good ideas or suggestions you would like to share with us?

HONG Na

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HONG Na on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:15 am

I totally agree with Stephanie Peng. If you watching an iPad during jogging, you neck will suffer from a lot of stress due to keeping one position for a long time. It is not heathy at all! That’s why I do not listen to music or watch a TV series on iPad and purely pay attention to my breathing and heartbeat. Let’s enjoy the fun of jogging. What’s the most important, do concentrate on one thing at a time.

Thanks to Chen Yonglei. It’s a good idea to define and categorize multi-tasking before a discussion. What’s the most difference between Category 1 and 2 is the attention and thinking process. Multi-tasking of Category 2 is required a great deal of time to focus and think.

HONG Na

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lin Jue-Celina on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:21 pm

I believe most of us like to listen to music while doing sth else. Once my boss(he played violin for 20 years as a hobbie)told me that he couldn't focus with music on as he felt like the music was talking to him. Although we all agree that multi tasking is harmful in many ways, we also need to have a clear prioritize on the task. The reason why we tend to multi task is that we don't understand the different importance of each task and we tend to believe it can be handled simultaneously.

Lin Jue-Celina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3035205867QingYu on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:40 pm

I'm leading 3 projects of different teams. I'm really the sufferer of multitasking. The FTE resources of each project was ridiculously marked as 0.3 that ignored all the switch cost.

Now I have new rules that actions in one day for only one project, arrange meetings separately and don't touch multiprojects at one time.

3035205867QingYu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chen Xinyu on Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:12 pm

In a city with fast tempo like Shanghai, we really see people doing multitasking around us all the time. Reading WeChat while eating, typing an email while having meeting, or even answering the phone while driving … Most of time these behaviors are unconscious and we tend to think that our brain can definitely manage not only thing at a time. We also think multitasking is a way to do things faster compared to doing one by one.

The research outcome in the article is a notice. No matter whether multitasking really damages our brain, I agree that people need concentration to achieve good performance and work efficiency. It is a habit to develop. Similarly, good time management suggests as well  the method of doing one thing at a time and stay focused during a period. The popular time management method called ‘The Pomodoro Technique’ suggests about using burst of focus with following practice:

• Remove all distractions.
• Choose a focus task.
• Set the timer to 25 minutes.
• Work on the task until the timer rings.
• Take a 5 minute break.
• Every 4 sessions take a longer break, perhaps 15 or 20 minutes.

Plus, there should be no emails, social media, surfing the net, phone calls or even interruptions from unproductive colleagues!

Chen Xinyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhang Wenzan --Zane on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:42 am

interesting. Rolling Eyes

Zhang Wenzan --Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhang Wenzan --Zane on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:55 am

I am very sceptical about brain damage from multitasking. I like listening to music while doing my homework, and it lets me be more efficiently. lol!

Zhang Wenzan --Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fendy on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:26 pm

2014 GB 高菲 Fendy

Not as computer, which can be programed to perform multitasking, but even for a computer, if it perform several tasks simultaneously, it would also become slower. Human brain is hard to fully focus when multitasking. people would take longer time or easier to get errors when multitasking than they plan tasks in order then finish them one by one. I for very easy tasks, which don't demand deep thinking, it is possible to get several done together through long time special training. But for the real issues, which needs real thinking, it is no way to be multitasking due to the working mechanism of Brain. Another study by René Marois, a psychologist of Vanderbilt University, discovered that the brain exhibits a “response selection bottleneck” when asked to perform several tasks at once. The brain must then decide which activity is most important, thereby taking more time.

Fendy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GB-Tang Yu on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:47 am

Interesting things that I realized that I did multi-tasking from childhood, but at that time I do not know it called Multi-tasking. I did listen to radio when I did paper home work, I watched TV when I was in dinner same time. At that time I do not think it damage my brain becasue I finished my home work on time, ate the dinneer and saw the TV. Until the age I start to work,I feel I still can complete the all tasks but with more time and energy exhausted. Sometimes I have to book a meeting room individually to leave my office desk, to leave the telephone, to leave anything possible to disrupt me to focus on one important task.

But i think it is impossible for us to avoid multi-task in our job, and sometimes it will be seem as one capabiltity of us that can move up. In this way, making priority is really important.

Of course, I may have less choice in job, but we can do it in our life, even in things like be a focused runner Stephanie mentioned above. Enjoy the life and make it focused, simple and colorful.

GB-Tang Yu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chen Yonglei on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:27 am

Fendy wrote:2014 GB 高菲 Fendy

Not as computer, which can be programed to perform multitasking, but even for a computer, if it perform several tasks simultaneously, it would also become slower. Human brain is hard to fully focus when multitasking. people would take longer time or easier to get errors when multitasking than they plan tasks in order then finish them one by one. I for very easy tasks, which don't demand deep thinking, it is possible to get several done together through long time special training. But for the real issues, which needs real thinking, it is no way to be multitasking due to the working mechanism of Brain. Another study by René Marois, a psychologist of Vanderbilt University, discovered that the brain exhibits a “response selection bottleneck” when asked to perform several tasks at once. The brain must then decide which activity is most important, thereby taking more time.

Yep, I agree. That's why now chips have more cores. Very Happy

Muiltitask sometims will kill people. For example,you text messages or call someone when you are driving.

Chen Yonglei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhai Weizhong on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:07 pm

I totally agree with what Tang Yu mentioned it is impossible for us to avoid multitasking, things won't always happen one by one, we have to deal with many tasks during a certain period even I konw the efficience is low. I lost my attention by the distraction, just like I had to reorganise my ideas after I answered the call when I was writting my essay of CBI . I was stuck in the similar situation. But why could I eat dinner well when I was watching TV? Why could I make my notes when I was having a meeting? I realised somthing when I learned about the human being brain and thinking mode consit of instinct, emotional and deep thinking through CBI courses. We could handle instinct issues easier and quickly without thinking, but it took a long time regard to the deep thinking issues.

Besides making a priority just like Tang Yu said, what can I do?
1.Trying my best not to do things together when they need deep thinking, focused and slow dow;
2.Using the 'critical path method' in my work and life which we learned in high school to make my efforts efficient.

Zhai Weizhong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GB-John_Qian on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 pm

It's hard to keep away from distraction to get thing done one by one in this kind of working environment.  Most of us are adapting to the environment and some of colleagues are proud of this kind of fake ability - multi -tasking .

I cant avoid all annoying cases but i am doing with below ways for important cases:
-Put the cellphone slient  and drop off all communication tools

GB-John_Qian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chen Yonglei on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:02 pm

GB-John_Qian wrote:It's hard to keep away from distraction to get thing done one by one in this kind of working environment.  Most of us are adapting to the environment and some of colleagues are proud of this kind of fake ability - multi -tasking .

I cant avoid all annoying cases but i am doing with below ways for important cases:
-Put the cellphone slient  and drop off all communication tools

Doing so is a kind of ways, but inevitablly most of time we have to do multitask, especially in the cities. I suggest that we can do multitask, but when it comes to a very serious and important thing, we must put anything on your hands aside. Try to focus on one thing. If you are making a sigificant decision, please be absorbed in it, otherwise once the decesion were wrong, it would fail you, and even kill you.

Every thing need depend on the situation. we can't avoid anything that we don't expect, but we can control it.
Learn how to control.

Chen Yonglei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sun Zixia on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:52 am

Multitask is quite common in today’s workplace, and multi-tasking is a preferred even required capability for most office workers. Learning the fact that multi-tasking is actually killing the overall productivity, and causing the horrible damage to the brain, we should take it more seriously. The two categories defined by Chen Yonglei make much sense, but I find it that sometimes we cannot find a clear dividing line in between as we have complicated scenarios in workplace. As multi-task is almost unavoidable, we should foster some way to crack it.

I would like to recommend the book Getting things done. It reveals some essence of dynamic art of workflow management and personal productivity into a linear format—a psychological assistant to help us achieve single-tasking. We have to free our mind before we can commit to a demanding task. “Zero Inbox” and “2 Minutes rule” was something I found very useful to lower the stress. cheers

Sun Zixia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sun Zixia on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:58 am

Seems no picture can be shown here, I add a link here for the flow chart albino http://www.servimg.com/view/19043410/2

Sun Zixia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Multiple businesses will lower innovation of a company as multitasks will lower our EQ?

Post by Liu Na on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:22 am

I found a funny analogy between multiple businesses for a company and multitasks in one topic titled “Why do the entire group need a Value Proposition?” posted by Qing Yu. Multiple businesses will lower innovation of a company as multitasks will lower our EQ? How do you think?

Just give two examples of my take on this:
One is Sony. You may be curious about the reason why iPod was invented by Apple not Sony? Sony invented well-received walkman then and was always the most successful consumer electronic company in the last two, three decades until the invention of iPod. Vested interest is very important to these big companies, so they often resist innovation. Record business was once most profitable for Sony. An album included about 3 hit songs, 5 awful songs. You would buy an album if you like one of songs in it, whereas mp3 is based on each song, if you like one, just pay for it to download. If Sony entered digital music market, it may threaten its previous business model. But it’s a good opportunity for small companies like Apple without any vested interest.

One is Tencent. When wechat arose in 2013, internal organization adjustment and mass personnel changes of QQ happened in this company. People say that Tencent got the ticket to get abroad the mobile internet ship by wechat. Tencent is killig itself, Wechat is disrupting QQ. Currently, the impact of wechat performance is significant. At the same time, Tencent is acquiring various small businesses and high-tech start-ups like apps, video, internet of things etc. to build its own empire. Will it impede its innovation in the future with so many acquired multiple businesses? We’ll see.

Liu Na

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyatt Weiqi Mao on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:48 pm

I saw many of the upstaris mentioned a common experience in our school days, doing homework while listening to music. Seems it is a common situaiton we shares. I'd like to say this is not the multi-tasking but the same thing like the driver example professor mentioned. We are not really listening to the music. It is more or less just a background sound that keeps us away from other nosie. Somehow it may be more accurate to see the music a way helps us to concentrate,to single-tasking on the homework.
I was always kidding with my friends that I was just like an old fashioned CPU, not capable of multi-tasking. The switching over from task to task is killing me. As these tasks are the ones I care about, I can't help but worrying again and agin about my missing anything or making mistakes during the switching overs.

Wyatt Weiqi Mao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:17 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top