multitasking

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

multitasks

Post by Susan Yuan on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:23 pm

From my observation, almost everyone under current society is hard to do single task compare to do multitasks. Why we can't pay attention and focus one task? First, everyone is procrastinator. If just finish one work at one time, there will be no delayed anymore because we are always easily distracted from something that curious and fresh. Second, almost each of us is greedy. We are afraid to loss and lack of security. The more we seize, the more we lose. Thirdly, we don't know what is more important to us. We are follower to majority when we determine and distinguish right from wrong. pale

Susan Yuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Wang Qin on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:45 pm

3035205867QingYu wrote:I'm leading 3 projects of different teams. I'm really the sufferer of multitasking. The FTE resources of each project was ridiculously marked as 0.3 that ignored all the switch cost.

Now I have new rules that actions in one day for only one project, arrange meetings separately and don't touch multiprojects at one time.

yes,this also happening on me. Just focus. Do things one by one.

Wang Qin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Multitasks vs. single task

Post by Susan Yuan on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Multitasks always have features that hurry, pressure and deadline driven. Single task is on the opposite when I feel the situation. It’s calm down and quiet from my heart. That’s why I know the story that the monk suggests when you eat, only eat. Although it is not easy when we deal with the time and tasks only focus one, it’s really worth to try for sake we protect our IQ and EQ. That’s really easier to mad or lose temper when I do many things at same time period. Evil or Very Mad

Susan Yuan (Yuan Shuo)

Susan Yuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Multi-tasking

Post by Michelle, LI Jing on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:49 pm

It's an interesting topic. The article the survey has astonished me at beginning. How come multi-tasking could damage our brain. Then, take second thought, I found it's rather true.  Take myself as an example, sometime when I wish to do many things all together, my mind get jammed. It usually will take longer time than doing those tasks one by one. Just as Prof. Ali said, your brain doesn't work that way. it' can only focus on one task at a time. I agree, what multi-tasking means, is switching from one task to another. Rather than doing it simultaneously. Often in office, when we are writing email, a call gets in. we picked up, and when we get back to emails, we usually lost and need to review the whole paragraph to continue. That's a good sample of our brain cannot process two things at a time. Learned from this article, I think I will stay more focus of doing one thing in a time. When eating the meal, enjoy the meal and put down our cell phone. We will find something different then usual.  Thanks for the sharing.

Last edited by Michelle, LI Jing on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Michelle, LI Jing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle, LI Jing on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Echo to Wang Qin's message about leading 3 projects at a time. I thought most of the company HR probably don't know this survey. As you can see from many JD or hiring requirements said: the candidate must be multi-tasking, about to handling several tasks at same time. I think the original thoughts was hoping the candidate can have high productivity and deliver results for all projects. However, from the article we got to know that will even lower our productivity. Maybe next time when we are required to do multi-tasking, we could share this article t our boss and ask them to help us stay focus, so that we could be more productive and effective. Lol..

Michelle, LI Jing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tang Weijie on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:38 am

Actually, I've read an article of multitaking last week which also focus on how multitasking affects memory and attention.
Imagine you get off the couch to get a snack from the refrigerator, you're interrupted by a phone call, and arrive in the kitchen with no clue why you're there. Even the simplest forms of multitasking can lead to glitches in the moment-to-moment processing of information known as working memory.
These types of distractions are becoming more and more a part of daily life, thanks to computers and smartphones.
Although in daily life, we have been used to do a lot things together in order to save time,the real efficiency of multitasking is neglected for a long time. I think concentration is not only good for the creativity part of our brain in a long term , it will also helps us to raise our efficiency only if we can force ourself to change the daily working  way we are accustomed to.

Tang Weijie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chenjiyu on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:50 am

First, let’s focus on the fact that your brain can only focus on one thing at a time. So if you force your brain to process more than one thing at a time, it could be damaging from the IQ aspect.
Second, I think for most people who experience multitasking for a long time will feel restless. This emotion could lower their passion for work.
Now that we are aware of the negative effects on multitasking, we should think about how to avoid doing two things at once in our daily work. For example, when you are working on something important, someone may call in and ask for something. You often stopped your work and talk to this guy. At this time, you should tell him that you are in the middle of something important and ask if he could call you later or you can call him back later. In most case, he will agree with you and you can concentrate on current task with good quality.

chenjiyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wang Qin on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:52 pm

Nowdays, massive amounts of information easily occures in our life, it is indeed hard to balance the information with focus. I am one of the victim of information addiction. I always feel uncomforatbel without we-chat and some other apps. Now I tried to change, but really difficulty.These information always distract me from the work.

Wang Qin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wangtao on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:33 pm

I have read the passage of 'Multitasking Damages Your Brain And Career, New Studies Suggest' from Travis. It told us multitasking wll kill our performance and may even damage our brain. And it also told us multitasking reduces our efficiency. So, our brain could only focus on one thing at a time.
I think it is correct in many cases. I will tell sth about it as the following.
Now I am working for a company from Japan(Hitachi Group).As you know, companies of Japan have a movement of 'Switch'. It is called 'switch movement' in Japan.When you start to work in the morning,you switch to the 'on' mode. It means you should focus on work only. After about 5PM., you should switch to 'off' mode.It means you should switch to your 'life' mode.
why 'switch movement'?
I think we could get the answer from the passage of Travis.If we focus on work or life only at a time, our brain and our body will be in good condition.Our performance in work will be efficient. And of course, the quality of our lives will be better,too.
Through 'switch movement' the workers and the engineers will be efficient. And they will be bring more innovation to the companies.
So, 'switch movement' told us the the bad influence of multitasking.

wangtao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry YAO on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:55 pm

After read the article I feel horrible about my work styles-multitasking. Because as a head in the office I should deal with many affaires every day. Although every staff have their own tasks but when they meet problems they have to ask me what to do and how to do, so I cannot control very well about my working plan and I always be disturbed by the other colleagues.

In my opinion, we should focus one thing at one time and we should make a very well planning and learn how to manage our time. we should know what is import what is have to been done first and then do things step by step.

Cherry YAO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

focus only on painting

Post by Susan Yuan on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:04 pm

The most impressive moment is drawing a picture in Prof. Ali’s CBI module. Although my skill is not so perfect, one time just focus on one task is the key. No matter what level of your drawing capability, only pay attention to the moment of your painting. The more I involve my work, the more I feel no difficulties. That’s absorbed in the role. Very Happy

Susan Yuan (Yuan Shuo)

Susan Yuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yin Hong on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Multi-tasking does no harm when people are doing labor jobs, for example, you can do the cleaning while listen to the music. You can have the meal while listen to the radio. The reason is your brain is only occupied by one task which is listening but your hands or mouth are busy with their own physical matters. However, if both tasks demand your brain, it is impossible for you to do both well in the same time. For example, you cannot do the two mathmatics problems in the same time.

Yin Hong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wu_Shenglan on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:11 am

"Those people turn out to be the worst at handling different things." said David Sanbonmatsu, a psychologist at the University of Utah.Those who frequently deal with many things at the same time were found to perform the worst at the actual multitasking test. They also were more likely to admit to sensation-seeking and impulsive behavior, which connects with how easily people get bored and distracted.

Wu_Shenglan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wu_Shenglan on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:21 am

Yin Hong wrote:Multi-tasking does no harm when people are doing labor jobs, for example, you can do the cleaning while listen to the music. You can have the meal while listen to the radio. The reason is your brain is only occupied by one task which is listening but your hands or mouth are busy with their own physical matters. However, if both tasks demand your brain, it is impossible for you to do both well in the same time. For example, you cannot do the two mathmatics problems in the same time.

I totally agree with u that when doing housing work while listenning to the music will help to relax and reduce stress. The harmless of multitasking should depends on different situation.

Wu_Shenglan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Summer on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:36 am

It seems multi-tasking makes us work effectively, but it doesn't becaues we cannot focus and do our best. After repeating multi-tasking for a long time, it would damage the thingking habits of our brain, and then our career.

Summer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kent.Ye on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:47 am

I would like to share some opnion of this "Multi-tasking" topic.

Most people often think of the ability to multitask as a positive attribute, to the degree that they will proudly of their ability to multitask. Likewise it’s not uncommon to see job advertisements that place “ability to multitask” at the top of their list of required abilities. Technologies such as smartphones cater to this idea that we can (and should) maximize our efficiency by getting things done in parallel with each other.

One thing I may want to mention is that procrastination is another cause of multitask habit. Usually when we have a new tough task, some of us may facing difficult in doing it with quickly kick-off. May be we want to think it thoroughly before start doing it, may be we are trying to find some help for it, whatever we are thinking, we are more likely to seek some easy things to do. We planned to think deeply for the tough task while doing the easy ones. But unfortunately, the end are most always against our bueatiful wish. We might find ourself difficult in finishing those easy things. The result will also harm people's confidence in dealing simple task.
Have to admit multitask is a bad habit after gainning nothing from it. bounce bounce

Kent.Ye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Qian Jianming - Richard on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:57 pm

It is an interesting topic. Actually, I do multi-tasking everyday! But I never know that it will hurt my brain. Even sometimes, I would consider that multi-tasking can well train my brain...
After reading the acticle, I begin to change my mind.
Whether multi-tasking damages our brain depends on the degree and frequency we do so. It may really harmful to the brain if people always do multi-tasking work. In this regard, I think our brain is like the steel wire. It will break off easily, if you bend it frequently.
On the other hand, multi-tasking sometimes will reduce the efficiency of our thinking. According to Professor Ali's class, brain will expend much energy on changing thinking channels. And we still need time to recall memories when we change back. So focusing on one thing can avoid wasting time and energy.
In conclusion, I agree that we should reduce multi-tasking to make our thinking more effecient.

Qian Jianming - Richard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Flow state and 10000 hours talents theory

Post by Susan Yuan on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:15 pm

We know from the book 10000 hours talents theory wrote by Daniel Coyle and also we need to know our brain structure and utilize properly. If we focus and reach the flow state, we can become the experts of the field, say in ten years almost. It’s hard to become veteran if we do multi tasks all the time. In current society, we of course need the vertical expertise and also the horizontal knowledge to cope with the speed of the world. But no matter whatever, we can master something only if we fully involve. Stop to check the email and we chat through smart phone time by time. Please leave them alone for a while and a period. The world is still no collapse and rotate.

Susan Yuan (Yuan Shuo)

Susan Yuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chen Yonglei on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Susan Yuan wrote:We know from the book 10000 hours talents theory wrote by Daniel Coyle and also we need to know our brain structure and utilize properly. If we focus and reach the flow state, we can become the experts of the field, say in ten years almost. It’s hard to become veteran if we do multi tasks all the time. In current society, we of course need the vertical expertise and also the horizontal knowledge to cope with the speed of the world. But no matter whatever, we can master something only if we fully involve. Stop to check the email and we chat through smart phone time by time. Please leave them alone for a while and a period. The world is still no collapse and rotate.

Susan Yuan (Yuan Shuo)

Since you mentioned the status flow, here I would highlight that "Do things you are good at and be absorbed in it, that's the source of happyness", said Prof. Ali.

I'm not gonna waste my time, but I always do. Echo for what I wrote in previous pages, most of time we inevitably do multitask, but when you do a very important thing, please focus on the one. As Prof. Ali said that when you are making a big decision, SLOW DOWN!

Chen Yonglei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jshang3 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:54 pm

we are facing too many interrption during work. Someone does not have multitask skill has to stop what he is dong now, listen to anoher thing, record it, and go back to the thing he just did. your life will keep in switching between start, stop, and start again. Multitask is no good to complex tasks. we need a quite enviroment to think to concentrate on complex tasks. However, 85% of our daily job is just a repeat upon experience. Monkey brain is good enough to solve these tasks as well as multitask. In a word, multitask will not raise the efficency on complex jobs and will cause mistakes. but for normal one, when we follow just do it, multitask is a necessary skill to go through everything in a quick way.

jshang3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top