Articles for the first class

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Articles for the first class

Post by joeerickmichael on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:43 pm

<Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts>
To be honest, after I read this article, I don't have much to say, maybe because I don't have the situation mentioned in the article. Nowadays we are living in a noisy world and we are bothered by lots of stuff every day. Meetings, conference-calls, emails all kinds of urgent tasks make me feel smother and I actually enjoy staying alone with my thoughts if there is a chance. I think let my mind wander is quite an enjoyable thing and can release my pressure. I use social media and smart phone quite frequently but I still believe I’m a good daydreamer.

joeerickmichael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittylin1112 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: 1st article<Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts>
I believe that let the mind wander can reach greater working memory and increased creativity. But in nowadays, social media is around us wherever and whenever, and smartphones are exactly the basic element of people’s life. We are living in a world with a hundred distractions, and people are used to it and rely on it. But being able to disengage mentally is really an important action. People tend to receive negative stimulations, but why not have a try stimulate ourselves and reach better memory and become more creative?

Kittylin1112

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittylin1112 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: 2nd article<Enter the Monkey>
I love the meditation instruction! Before the monkey in the brain being tamed, everything seems not that natural, and the conceptual thinking often trigger sensations and emotions. Since we all want to seize the day, it’s time to train the monkey brain! Bring awareness to body rather than any other thinking provided by the monkey brain. Just focus on the here and now. And, to live a happy life with inner peace.

Kittylin1112

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Freya Chen on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:18 am

The first article describes the phenomenon of "Monkey mind", which is a normal biological phenomenon. Sometimes it disrupts our concentration form the goal, and sometime it helps us in doing creative things. So we need to control it and take full advantage of it. As Lenovo's slogan said, "inspire fun in life." using I.C.A.N method, finding the internal relationship and arranging them in logical way. Following those steps might help our thinking out of the box.

The second article describes some the effect brought from the mass media and digital terminal equipment invasion. In fact , I think it might be the reason of the impetuous public. With the popularity of mobile equipment and Wi-Fi, it seems that we cannot live without the net. The more we spend time on the net, the less we spend time on personal thinking. People care about what others said but show less concern about what their thinking. However, thinking is the way to stand out from the rest. So it is time for us to think. Doing some mind wandering, practicing concentration and setting a short but clear goal. That is one of the ways to be success.

Freya Chen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by liuyuanyuan on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:53 pm

Article 1-We think we are thinking, but in fact we are just letting our mind wadering around, letting the monkey walk us, instead of we decide where to go. Article 2-Choosing electric shook instead of thinking shows us how they are unable to focus on single task.

These 2 article told us we dont know how to think in a right way and focus. There are books as “Blink” and “Think fast and Slow” which explain two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional,; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. I think Monkey is more likely from the System 1. Reading those books helped me to pay more attention to what I think, and train myself avoid the monkey. Also, practise yoga helps to control the monkey mind. We need to learn how the mind works and keep practise it so we can keep the monkey from coming out and disturb us.

liuyuanyuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by YolandaZHANG on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Reply to Monkey Mind

When I transcribe Buddhist scriptures, I always annoy my discursive thinking and don’t know how to deal with it. I usually force myself to stop thinking and blame myself, indulging into a bad circulation, which I now know called”monkey hunt”.

After read this article, when I am not focused on transcribing, I will have a proper view on the situation and try to work with it. Perhaps when transcribing, I could think about the beauty of the sentence, the pressure I use and so on.

Recently I read an article named“20 happy habits Harvard recommends”. Meditation is listed in NO13. Meditation is a good way to help us stop and focus on present. I will keep it as my routine. That's a great thing!

YolandaZHANG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by YolandaZHANG on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Reply to "Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts"

Nowadays, we are distracted by many tools. For example, the instant communication tool such as Wechat, which helps us keep in touch with our friends in time and strengthen the social relationships, but on the other hand make us can’t focus on doing some thing for a long time.

It might be a paradox. Everything has good aspects and bad aspects. So I think the best way and solution is to balance by ourselves. Recognize the development and changes, good influences and bad influences of the environment and ourselves, catch up with and adapt to them, and also need to calm down and focus on the right and important things we should do and good to us.

YolandaZHANG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE:Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts

Post by Shi Xiankun on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:54 pm

The research shows a very interesting phenomenon. People are always afraid of being lonely. So when they feel free, they would like to do things. That means the brains are controlled by the monkey mind. We may know that it is helpful for us to let the brain relax. But in fact, we prefer to doing things. We can see that if we let nature take its course, our thinking will conduct our body to do things to be stimulated. That's the reason why we usually look down and touch the phone's screen whether there is an important message or not. So if we really want to let ourselfe leave away from the electronic devices, we should focous on our thinking and control it by ourself. Take it easy and enjoy the moment.

Shi Xiankun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annnna on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:13 am

In all, I think mobile devises are definitely help and advancement to people, but everything has its side effect more or less which depends on the way we treat them.

Annnna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:Articles for the First Class

Post by Fang Ying Jiao on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:59 pm

The first article gives us a general idea of monkey brain. After reading, I recognize how monkey brain affects our daily life. In most situations, I dislike it as it will distract my concentration and lower efficiency. The most important is we know the demerits but no way to completely avoid it as it is an instinct. However when I am free, I will enjoy some monkey at the moment. Monkey brain will remind me of beautiful memory and make me relax. Therefore, how to balance the monkey brain and efficiency is a lesson for me to learn.

The seconds research derives from monkey brain and share a research that people, in particular in male, are unwilling to be alone with thought. That could also explain why cellphone is so popular. People prefer to action rather than to think. Even people make enough preparation before spending time, they still are unable to control monkey brain. However every coin has two sides. Research also shows that monkey can stimulate creativity and relax our busy life. How to practice and successfully manage will be a next step for us to consider.

Fang Ying Jiao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joyceken on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:04 pm

From the second article, the monkey mind, which sounds bad and always appears, is also no need to worry. Learn to control or tame monkey mind will help to bring your awareness back to your body and to achieve 'synchronizing mind and body'.
Now try to take time to meditate, let the heart calm down, I found it is more interesting to tame the monkey mind than to keep it!

joyceken

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Ding on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:00 pm

As a yoga practicer, I can totally empathize with the acticle that when mediation, the monkey mind will appear unconsciously and the only way to get rid of the monkey mind is to let your mind concentrate on the body and breath. In my opinion, mediation will not only help remove the nagative emotion, but also will practice the ability of concentration.

Nowadays, we are so engaged in the smartphone and social media that it's becoming harder and harder to concentrate. Such distraction will greatly influence the efficiency as well as the creativity. To live in an effective and innovative life, we need to learn how to concentrate and how to tame and train the monkey mind.

Chrissy Ding

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zhaojia on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:08 pm

The second article indicated that human beings, regardless men or women, young or old, rich or poor, they prefer doing than just thinking. Thinking without doing seems to be some horrible training or punishment to human beings. Why do we feel so uncomfortable with our thinking only? Maybe it’s originated from human nature that we need to contact with the outside world for as much as more information so as to take action for survival immediately. Human beings are social animals, and therefore, we need to train our body and mind to stay isolate from outside world for some while. This kind of training is just like some religious behavior, which requires people to mediation for a long time.

zhaojia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vzh2015 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:33 pm

The 1st article ‘Enter the monkey’ make me realize that this behavior also often happen to myself, we often have excuse for busy, while ignoring the things we really need. Very easy to be outside interference. we should learn how to put down, know what they really need, do not be fooled by mere surface, and easy make decision.
According to the second article, we could learn that with the Internet technology developed, our daily life also have rapid changes. IBM as the leader of technology also have big revolution. We could see now in our daily life since the cloud, and big data, our life style also changing.
We will face the fourth technological revolution, with technology development, more and more industries are replaced by machines, we should think about the future we have to control the machine, or be replaced by machines.
GB ZhangYanlan

Vzh2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sy_kidd on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:56 pm

The first article told the truth that under the pressure of modern life filled with rules, limits, laws to follow, people tends to lose themselves getting involved in the busy but usual life. In fact I don't think it's right or wrong since so-called work, which has to be handled, should be completed according to the rules, laws, conclusion and order. Most of what we are doing is just to produce a copy of precedents again and again, which is the only way we live on. So-called creation means more rights in life, more authorities in work, as well as more space and time to wander. But how could we get them? We have to become a good copier to have a independence financially at first, then to get more admission and approval in a bigger space to kick off the daydream wandering.

sy_kidd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Why Monkey Mind so popular?

Post by Mao Zhongmei on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:00 pm

I found myself could hardly focus on something 3 years ago, when I had a Micro Blog online account. This social media only allows 130 characters to be posted in one blog. Each information was micro and didn't take long time to read and to interact. It made use of our fragment time. But many people include me found we loose our patience for longer article. And later we lost our patience for everything since information and news came to our mind very shortly, that made us felt really hard to focus. And the feeling of wandering is the "Monkey Mind". This should be a problem. We're so sick now.

Article 2:
I suppose it's more related to characteristic about being alone. Introvert are more likely to choose to stay alone at home. We could know about ourselves only by making friends with the inner self. We might don't know what to do and what to think when we're alone, but we have to practice.

Mao Zhongmei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moon819 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:14 am

After I read this article 'Enter The Monkey', I find that we should learn to countrol our monkey mind by keep focus on what we do and to be a skiled person in this field, then we can feel happy which is the real hapy.

moon819

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Enter the Monkey

Post by Sunli on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:14 am

It is true that when I sit alone, my mind could go anywhere. Even if I try to stay focus on something, or just relax by doing nothing, my monkey mind seems never stop for one minute. Most people like me have such kind of experience and they have tried to beat the monkey mind to get peaceful through various ways. As the article said, we must learn to work with the monkey mind; the way is to “synchronizing mind and body.” We should actively engage in the play of monkey mind, bring the awareness back to our body. So if monkey mind shows up again, we do not need to be worried since we have known how to deal with it.

Sunli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts

Post by Sunli on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:19 am

Why people hate so much about sitting and doing nothing but thinking? We thought that our brain is full of wonderful things, but actually we found it so hard to stay alone with our thoughts. I think that is because we are easily get distraction in these modern days with smart phones, televisions, and websites or bars to go to. For such a long time, we never stop doing something from the beginning of the day to the bedtime, and we are not able to doing nothing but thinking, somehow it brings anxiety to us. It seems that men tend to be more “sensation seeking” that women, which could be easily understood because men tend to be more energetic than women since they were very young.

Sunli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by liuyang2015 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:30 am

From the first article we could learn that it's not easy to control our mind. We should learn to tame the Monkey Mind instead of get rid of it.
The situation in the second article come to me sometimes as well, we should learn to get rid of smartphones and think more.

liuyang2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by az619 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:14 am

Comments to the 1st article:
Thoughts are as natural as breathing, and almost as difficult to completely stop. The endless chattering in our head as we jump in our mind from thought to thought while we daydream, analyze our relationships, or worry over the future. Eventually, we start to feel like our thoughts are spinning in circles and we're left totally confused. It's been called the monkey mind. One way to tame this wild creature in our head is through meditation - although the paradox is that when you clear your mind for meditation you actually invite the monkey in your mind to play. This is when you are given the opportunity to tame this mental beast by moving beyond thought, to become aware of a thought rather than thinking a thought. The difference is subtle, but significant. When you are aware of your thoughts, you can let your thoughts rise and float away without letting them pull you in different directions. Being able to concentrate is one of the tools that allows you to slow down your thought process and focus on observing your thoughts. Eventually, we will be able to triain our mind have the ability to focus and pay attention to things which we need to focus on.

Comments to the 2nd article:
Without solitude, it’s hard to arrive at thoughts that are your own, and hard to develop the moral compass and moral courage necessary to act on those thoughts. Despite the difficultiy of being alone with our thoughts, most people have trouble going out alone as well. And I have a feeling that it is especially true for women. Call me a loner since no matter how others do or feel, I really enjoy being alone with my thoughs and stay alone with myself. Without the ability to romance ourselves, how can we expect to exude a romantic energy, or really love ourselves to begin with? So it is important to learn how to get along yourself without interact with others and get ride of electronic devides as well in order to leave eough space for us to breath and think on our own.

az619

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnolia_sh on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:32 am

From the first article, we can see naturally people cannot sit(or stand) with himselves/herselves calm. Their thoughts will wander to the past or future, here and that without control, just like a monkey, stay alone is so bad that it only make people want to escape.
This situation is there when people stay alone or feel bored with the surroundings. So people tend to find things to do just to avoid it.
But the reality is that stay alone situation is unavoidable, still many works, great thoughts, novels, artworks are generated the alone situation.
So it's very needful to make people stay alone well, and go further let people benifit from it to be calm, to embrace wisdom.
Good is that, we can do that through trainings, that's stay alone with awreness, focus on the sensation of your own body.
I'm very glad to know how to stay alone well with myself, and will continue to do the training as I have done that sometime before. Hope others also willing to try it to enjoy there life more.

For the second article, we can see clearly that there're so many people cannot stay well also. Still it's a shock to me that two thirds of men and 25% women can't stay well within 15 minutes, even in a known thinking session. Still we can see, that women are more bearable to be alone then men, I think that's because women are like to stay quietly without actional deeds, but men like exercise such as playing football, swimming, agure with other people, stoll from place to place, and will act more actively to change the situation when it's not comfortable.
On one way, if a man not stay alone with oneself, he will do many useless things (sometimes maybe bad things to kill time, like drinking, drug).
On the other way, great thoughts and wisdom are come from when people stay alone.For this, firstly man need to stay alone well.
I hope people can notice this, and find ways to make himselves stay well whether he's with friends or just alone.

Magnolia_sh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE:Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts

Post by He Zhiyong on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:55 am

I‘m really shocked after I read "Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts" . Many People in the experiment choose to shock themselves when they have nothing to do, they don't want to be quiet and stay alone. It means many poeple are hard to focus on thinking because they're distacted by many kind of things like electronic products and they get used to it. If they stay alone without anything, it will drive them crazy.
Distraction is a really big problem for mordern people. If people can't concentrate, they can't be efficient and will waste a lot of time. It's necessary to let people know how harmful it is and how to improve it. Meditation, Calligraphy, Painting and Music are benefit for people to concentrate.

He Zhiyong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FangYiShen on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:10 am

The increasingly rapid pace of life that we always want to rush like people can not stop. And the arrival of the mobile Internet era also let us always pay attention to the information of the clutter. But we need to remove your head, keep the focus on important things.

FangYiShen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Let our thoughts fly. Not like a monkey, but a bird.

Post by FangYiShen on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:20 am

When we think about one thing, we can't control the other things that matter.The mind that restlessly leaps from place to place is traditionally compared to a monkey, and it’s often called monkey mind.Most of the time it will affect our thinking, we need to keep quiet and focused through meditation and so on.But when we start to be creative, we might as well let our thoughts fly. Not like a monkey, but a bird.

FangYiShen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top