Articles for the first class

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Articles for the first class

Post by Lujinyuan on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:14 am

Monkey mind is not an inferior stage of human thinking, instead, it often brings an illusion of an superior mind stage, such as keeping asking oneself what's the right way of life, keeping worrying one's future career and so on. Monkey mind is actually an disorder and chaotic mind statues mixed with negative moods like anxiety or worry. Such a kind of mind always call for unrealistic things, making people nervous and thus damaging their real sensations, which in the end driving people mad.

Most people can more or less control their monkey while some people may spontaneously fall into the cycle of monkey mind as illustrated in the article above. We must keep a balance between conceptual world and sensation world, from which we can maintain a happy and optimistic attitude towards daily work.

Lujinyuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lujinyuan on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:56 am

Human beings naturally seek for stimulation,especially for men. That's what has been tested in the experiment above. This showed that how difficult for a human being to keep calm and "enjoy" himself. The thing is that most of people have found that in modern times, they get more and more distracted by various information. Is it a natural tend that humans become more distracted and even split? The experiment did not give the answer.
To my knowledge, the balance of focusing and distraction are always changing. Neither of them are purely good or not to the society. We do feel the disturb from distraction here and now because the previous balance is facing a fierce change. The change is so swift and we can not quickly get adapted to it and then feel something strange. It remains a question while our task is to build the new balance as soon as possible.

Lujinyuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edward.JI on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:30 pm

According to my personal experience, it's easy for me to make brain wandering when I feel a little tired because of difficult to concentrate. I basically agree that the research find people could have more creativity when their mind is wandering. But I'm a little confused by the research why to ask the people who join the testing to try to think nothing for 6~7 minutes. Just for myself, to keep thinking nothing for this long time, I might fall into sleeping.

Edward.JI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts

Post by Martin Ma - Ma Jinhui on Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:40 am

According to the result of this experiment, people would like to distract from his activity, even this kind of activity is a wandering! So the mindset - “People usually think of mind wandering as being a bad thing, because it interrupts when you’re trying to pay attention.” is total wrong. The wandering shouldn’t be blamed, the reason behind wandering is the bad habit of each one – can’t focus or concentrate on something.
“The ability to let the mind wander has been linked to greater working memory and increased creativity.” – it means if you can wander without feeling bored or negative during a period, you also has the ability to concentrate upon something.

Martin Ma - Ma Jinhui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yfzhou83 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:04 am

On the first class, Professor Ali, gave us a way of doing meditation through music. I tried to completely calm down, concentrated on listening. But I found that the more I think, the more activity of my monkey brain. I’ve been trying to do game with my monkey brain through the process.

I realized that it is difficult to control the mode of my brain. Whether you're reading, listening to lectures or ready to sleep, there is a kind of trend of distraction, and often far away from the goals. Professor Ali, through meditation to let us gradually find oneself, explore ourselves. It is a great method, I like it.

yfzhou83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TANG Jianzhong on Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:37 pm

"Doing something is better than doing nothing!" I believe it's due to the biologic feature of our human brains that we can't easily just sit down and doing nothing but thinking, just like the "monkey mind" which is also a nature of human brain. We need to know about this nature activity, to tame it to imporove our self-control capabilty. Personally, I can forget anything else and just concentrate on something if I get fully engaged into it and keep active thinking of it.

TANG Jianzhong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chen Yujia on Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:42 am

Actually it's the first time for me to do the mediation. A simple 10minutes helps to make my mind calmer and more focused, and I can learn how to transfer my mind from negative to positive, my mood from impatient to calm. That's really good experience!

Chen Yujia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard Mok on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:28 am

Honestly speaking, it's quite tough for me to slow down and meditate at the very first beginning, because I've been got used to think about "finding out problems, work out solutions" all day long in daily work for years. Sometimes I try to lay down, get my eyes closed and think about nothing to relax my mind and release my stress, but when I get back to work, those stress and negative thoughts come back again. After several sessions of meditation, I started to find it helps to recharge me and get in touch with my inner self, instead of bringing me fleeting relief. Let's see what will happen next.

Last edited by Richard Mok on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Richard Mok

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Two sides of "monkey mind"

Post by jamiezhu on Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:03 am

It’s a very interesting topic when Professor Ali mentioned about “monkey mind” on class and after reading these 2 articles. We realized that we were not controlling our mind and thought as we hoped so, and our minds would prefer meandering from topic to topic.

As everyone has similar situation of this discursive thinking, we’d better face what happened in our mind. We could gradually learn to calm it down and train it when we want to concentrate on something.

I’m thinking of that “Monkey mind” is also a kind of evolution for human beings, maybe this is an important part in some extent for human beings to deal with various information or make connections with different thing. Of course, when we need to make high attention on one thing, monkey mind would really disrupt us a lot. But on the other side, maybe monkey mind also make a lot of things connected that we usually wouldn’t put them associated in normal mind. Maybe some of the creations and idea were coming from the “monkey mind” moment.

This also could be a good researching point that why we have “monkey mind” if it disrupt us so much? Is that really an evolution fault or it really does matter for us, and if we can’t avoid it all the time how can we take us of it?

jamiezhu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiona Liu on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:03 am

It was the first time for me to realize that I had so strong Monkey Mind. It jumped here and there during the meditation. When I was working, the Monkey Mind also disturbed me a lot. Especially when I felt worried about something, I could not control my mind to think about it when I was doing other things. Usually, I write down the tasks in my “To-do-list” to avoid my mind to subconsciously think them again and again without focusing on what I am doing. However, the Monkey Mind also helped me sometimes. When I had no idea of how to do some tasks, the Monkey Mind often brought me the inspiration. Per the theory in the article, people could control the brain to reach a synchronization between the mind and body so that we could better leverage the Monkey Mind to achieve creativity. I believe more practice we have, a better synchronization would be achieved.

Fiona Liu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nancysdm on Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:24 pm

There are many different thoughts and a variety of states of mind. We should learn to remian clam through the practice of meditation so that we can avoid other things affecting our basic mental attitude, with which we can have a more meaningful, more constructive and more peaceful life.

Don't judge before we know the true reason and learn to be concentrate on the sensations of our bodies, otherwise the Monkey Mind may cheat us.

nancysdm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SUN Yeqing on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:21 pm

The articles remind me of the spirit of yoga, which has something common with meditation. When focusing on the breath, the mind calms down gradually, which “synchronizes mind and body". Meditation makes people relaxed and helps to achieve inner peace.

SUN Yeqing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking Advantage of the Monkey Mind

Post by Wayne Yang on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:33 pm

The article “Enter the Monkey”pointed out the issue of monkey mind most people might encounter in the meditation. Since the meditation on a regular basis in our daily life is a good practice for our brain, it seems indispensable to learn how to work with monkey mind during the meditation to help us to focus on the present instead of being distracted.

The solution given by the author of this article is taming and training the monkey mind. In light of my understanding, it does not refer to suppress the monkey mind in an oversimplified and crude way, but to take advantage of the monkey mind by its natural tendencies and try to sychronize mind with body, which could not only be applied to meditation, but various daily occasions as well.

As a matter of fact, it might be easy to write down what you have learned from this article, but it is far more difficult to develop it as a habit in our daily life. However, it is always said that practice makes perfect.Thus, let us have a try and make it happen from now on, shall we? As for me, I will start from writing this article review.

Wayne Yang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Enter The Monkey

Post by Martin Ma - Ma Jinhui on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:53 am

This article tell me an effective method to manage the 'Monkey Mind'. I learned that monkey mind is a part of meditation, you can't suppress it or destroy it. The only way is to tame it and train it. Monkey mind looks like emotions in "Inside out" produced by animation studio 'Pixar', you can't always stay with Joy(meditation), your life must have Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness(Monkey mind). So how to balance and control the conflict between monkey mind & meditation is very important.

Martin Ma - Ma Jinhui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by elaine.dong on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:15 am

SUN Yeqing wrote:The articles remind me of the spirit of yoga, which has something common with meditation. When focusing on the breath, the mind calms down gradually, which “synchronizes mind and body". Meditation makes people relaxed and helps to achieve inner peace.
Agree. The monkey mind, which is a discursive thinking, always master our mind. It districtas our thinking, and contributes to wandering mind. Since we are human beings, and our minds are really hard to control. Leverage a techinique to mastre and control the monkey mind may help. Yoga will be a very good technique of controlling our body and the mind. It's a good system of meditation.

elaine.dong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZHANG Ji on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:10 pm

From this story ,I make a conclusion.Practice is more important than just thinking.We need to make some practice to know how to use our brain.

ZHANG Ji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by XU Iris (Shanshan) on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:02 am

The first article is really help for us to tame the “monkey mind” - sitting down to meditation probably is the way to tame the “monkey mind”. When you realize that you are no longer just sitting, but are actively engaged in the play of monkey mind, just bring your awareness back to your body and let yourself feel the sensations of your body. If monkey mind shows up again, let it rest on the sensations of the body.

XU Iris (Shanshan)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by XU Iris (Shanshan) on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:20 am

To be honest, I was a bit surprised when I completed second article. It looks like people loss the ability of doing nothing but thinking. They hate being alone with their thoughts rather than in pain.

I think this is a common phenomenon, nowadays, when you go to restaurant, subway station, shopping mall, you can see everyone just focus on their smartphone. In China, it’s a shame if you don’t have Wechat or Weibo (Chinese twitter). People spend too much time on internet and social media to kill time instead of concentration. They rely on apps and internet too much that they don’t even know how to deal with other people as well as get along with themselves.

The ability to let the mind wander has been linked to greater working memory and increased creativity. To sad that most people lost this ability.

The thing we can try is spent 15 - 30 minutes, don’t look at smartphone, don’t touch any social website, just be concentrate and let our mind wander.

XU Iris (Shanshan)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeman Yu on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Meditation is a good way to listen to your heart. Thanks to Ali’s class, I get a same strong sense of identity about happiness. Nowadays, people live in chaotic environment and keep thinking all the time. What we really want? Most of us have answers, but most of the answers are not true. I believe that desire is the enemy of happiness. If you learn to control your monkey mind and desire, calm down, close your eyes and listen to your heart, you may find your real happiness. Maybe at the very beginning of your journey for your dream, you have got what you want.

Freeman Yu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A training of your own mind

Post by JennyWu on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:28 am

"You might find that you are unable to “just sit” because your monkey mind wants to do something." This is exactly what most of the ppl feel everyday. The fast-paced work in daily life has formed most of us a habit to plan, execute, review and act again. When the work at hand is accomplished, we feel relieved but empty as well. That's why we fulfill our weekly schedule with meeting-ups, dinners and activities after work. We force our body to participate into the "next round" or "next task" that we don't pay any attention to it until we get sick...
Our mind is too active to be controlled in such age of information explosion. Learning to control the monkey mind and turn to one's own inside feeling is quite important, either for mental or physical health. It will take time but will benefit oneself for long - improving efficiency and having inner peace.

JennyWu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zou Fuyong on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:33 am

I am such a daydreamer. Actually, I have thought over the problem about how can I not to be interrupted by electronic devices. Here, I will share my stupid ideas with you. The first point is your determination. It is you who will decide everything. However, once you have made up your decision, you should make every effort to insist on it. and never change your mind so easily. Moreover, you'd better learn to go on your own way, and never pay any attention to those remarks behind you which will hold you back. Secondly, you should be a observer and thinker. Since you are living in the colorful and changeable world, you should pay a great amount of attention to the people and their life around you. You can be a participant or you can also just be a passer-by who will be watching everything happening. You may have cold and sharp eyes but never never turn your cold shoulders to the life. Life is the resource of your creations.

Zou Fuyong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by panping on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:43 am

Distractions can bring new things in our eyes to keep us curious. Women can be more consentration than men. However Men can be more creative than women because they like variety and stimulation. Smart devices can bring into many new information to keep us busy with thinking. With such of thinking, we can challenge more status quo and create new thing/new way more quickly.

panping

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karen_zy on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:03 am

The research findings, the ability to let the mind wander has been linked to greater working memory and increased creativity, seems a little surprised to me. It demonstrates from the positive side rather than my usual thinking. If we know how to control the wandering when we need to focuse on something or want to empty ourselves and spread wandering when we need immagination and creativity at work or life, it will make a colorful life!

karen_zy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cara (Zhuang Jing) on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:29 am

As usual, we take the same route to work, go to the same office, sit in the same room to attend meetings. When we are doing the routines, but need to have out-of- box thinking, it might be a good approach of disengaging mentally to think differently. In this way, we can set free the mind out of the environment we stay, and create something new.

Cara (Zhuang Jing)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyWu on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:38 am

I have suffered from such a situation for a long time and i didn't figure out what happened before reading this article. We are always managing many tasks at the same time and many are of high priority but monkey mind slows down the progress.
Now I learn to control the "monkey" every time I find my mind too active... As proposed by Professor Ali, close eyes, take a deep breath and focus on inner me... It helps to calm the "monkey"down.

JennyWu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:18 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top