Eyes down, minds elsewhere, ‘deadwalkers’ are among us

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Eyes down, minds elsewhere, ‘deadwalkers’ are among us

Post by Minqiang Tim WU on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:22 pm

wenkaigu wrote:
Richard Mok wrote:Smartphone technology brings people not only convenience, but also potential ricks. It might distract people from noticing what is more important. I see quite a lot of smartphone users check their emails or wechat every 10 minutes or less, not because they heard a ringtone or felt a vibration, but rather because they cannot help themselves to do so. It seems that sliding to unlock the screen is a mechanical movement, quite a few users just do so unconsciously without being aware of what they are going to do with the phones in their hands. Sounds horrible.

Several times I get bumped into by the people who didn't look at where they were going, it's annoying, isn't it? Such habits are likely to endanger those people's lives someday. I think there should be signs, as a start, even fines in some specific districts especially for crowded areas, to prohibit using smartphones while walking.
Quite agree with your idea. Under certain circumstance, using laws to restrict behavior is very useful for safety

Yes, agree! I express my similar idea about the law and regulation to prevent this kind of danger behavior.

Minqiang Tim WU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zou Fuyong on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:00 am

Nowadays, when we meet friends or family reunions, we often greeting in one or two words, then pulled out mobile phone or PAD to play games, weibo or wechat. Usually, parents elders ask some questions, we are literally back one or two sentences, or even don't even lift head. Exactly we are busy with games, also can on the Internet chat with a stranger unusually speculation, very intimate, but ignored our nearest person at this time. So often someone joked, "the world's most remote distance, not life and death, but I am with you to have a meal, you play mobile phone."
Mobile phone's world is wonderful, but the scenery around us is also not bad. when we bowed, too much beautiful scenery were missed. Kidnapped by the Internet and mobile phones, we ignored the relatives and friends around, face to face with fewer and fewer of them. Our friends on the Internet is becoming more and more, but our friends are less and less. Due to the cold screen our relatives are separated. At that time, we will find ourselves are so much alone.

Zou Fuyong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karen_zy on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:12 am

Thanks to the technology iteration, smart devices are becoming intelligent and bring in convenience and more diversified information to our life, and we make the dream that everybody is equal to information come true. While enjoy surfing on the intermet, showing pictures in the social media and uploading selfie etc, we offen neglect two simple facts. One is that the possible danger may occur as you fixate on the smart devices and are distracted from periphery environment. Another fact is that you ignore the feeling of surrounded people when you focus on the screen.  The phenomenan of deadwalker and smartphone addict is coming out more and more.  If we don't spend much time on clicking up and commenting, we can make use of the extra time for reading or focusing on task or thinking. Maybe there's new discovery or inspiration emerging. So it's the time that we put down the smart devices and set aside more time to concentrate on one thing or communicate with our family and friends.

karen_zy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cara (Zhuang Jing) on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:24 am

It shocked me to learn about the large number of people died or injured on the road due to attention to electronic devices in US. Whenever I walk in the public places in China, I can see dauntless deadwalkers too, and I was one of them.  Technology is said to make our life easier and smarter, but aren’t we getting numb to the danger when our phone is getting smarter? My life is disturbed too much by the mobile device now, I would feel fidgeting without one in hand.  It’s like an invisible hand controlling my body and mind, as slight vibration of the device can alert me of its visibility, this makes me uneasy as I feel being controlled.  I must start to get away from this control.

Cara (Zhuang Jing)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amandazheng on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:21 am

Smartphones have made it easy for us to stay connected all times. Before the social media was invented, people would hang out to have face to face talk. Now if we want to talk, we just send a message through wechat or facebook rather than gathering together. It changed our lives and cause a lot of problems at the same time. Obviously almost everyone had this experience of texting or checking on emails while walking or driving. We wanted to know whether there was a new message sent to us or a new post from friends' blog. Some people even feel anxious when they do not check their phone every 5 minutes. It is very dangerous and irresponsible for lives when we are distracted from the driving or walking. Human being's mind is not suitable for multitasking. When you think you are multitasking, actually you just pay attention to one thing. So the tragedy happen when the drivers or the pedestrian look down to the phone. Many researches showed that a growing number of accidents happened because of the distracted driving or walking. We all think that a short glance will not hurt any one, but it does. All the accidents happened just in one second. So tell myself the message can wait and respect lives.

amandazheng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirley Zheng on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:22 am

This is sadly true in China at least in its big cities as well. Being too obsessed to cellphones will somehow force you to ignore your surroundings when you are outside, which significantly increases your safety risks. I think the potential harms are more than your health risks. Even when you are at home, when you are sitting by the dining table, or when you are sitting on a sofa accompanying another people, if you keep yourself addicted to the cellphones and pay no attentions to people, this is very rude and will make others uncomfortable.
Social networks medias are getting more and more powerful and dynamic. But does it really benefit people to some extent? I think the statistics in the article have well proved social network has its harmful side. In my simple words, smart people always know to use the smart devices as tools. Although cellphone contents may be compelling, strict self-controls would be a useful method to help you better make use of your cellphones.

Shirley Zheng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyWu on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:30 am

Well, it is a common scene to be spotted nowadays. While we blame these ppl, including me (lol), who don't care about their safety on the road, we should take a comprehensive analysis of this phenomenon. Firstly, we should enhance ppl's awareness of traffic safety. If the government will publicity a new traffic rule to forbid looking at cellphones when crossing the road, the number of the injury will drop significantly. Of course, it's not proper to implement such a regulation but the law enforcement should be the most efficient way besides enforcing the public education.
Moreover, what I would like to emphasize is that ppl can't help sticking to their cellphone is because most of them have a long list of task to engage with everyday while some are really addicted to game or social networks. The development of technology during last decade has improved the quality of our life and we are familiar with multi-tasking - book a table or a flight ticket on their way to the airport, call for Ayi when having OT, handle tons of emails rushed in or make a phone call when walking... Time counts on and we try to make every minute of our life. The fast-paced modern life have made us used to live a life in hurry.
Controversially, you won't see many pedestrians with eyes down in small cities...If there's any, it's highly possible that they come from the capital.
Actually, I do look down at my iPhones when driving sometimes, and I once paid for such a dangerous behavior. As the problem has been raised up, the government shall take some actions to avoid expansion of the 'deadwalker' group. At least, they shall stop for 30 secs to go through the traffic first.

JennyWu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by qncheng on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:34 am

Cellphone should be service us. Now it turns around, we are waiters for the cellphone. Whenever it beeps, we reply to it immediately.It is really hard for most people to ignore their phones. Too many accidents have sounded the alarm for us. Even if we could not ignore the smartphones, we could not ignore the blood accidents. Try to put down your mobile phone for a little while, enjoy your environment. Remember, your sight is much bigger than the small screen!

qncheng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renee CAO Lei on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:10 pm

The danger of being a smartphone zombie is well known, especially when a driver was seeing weichat or message at the same time. I agree that the important reason is the changes in our life style. With the development of mobile and internet, our life has become faster and faster, we try to utilize all pieces of our time to deal with our tasks. As what we have learnt from the lesson, it is not good to be more multi-tasking and the monkey brain will negative influence on focusing and completing jobs efficiently. So, “less is more”. Let’s keep simple life and concentrate on the important things like family.

Renee CAO Lei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Gong (Yulu Gong) on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Maybe we haven’t realized this, but we have to admit that electronic devices have made us into walking zombies. We are becoming multi-tasker in all aspects, eating and using cell phones, listening to lectures and using celling phones, and so on. It is necessary for us to find some time to leave phone alone and just think.

Lucy Gong (Yulu Gong)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Eyes down, minds elsewhere

Post by Martin Ma - Ma Jinhui on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:18 am

A lot of people look the electric devices when they walk down the roadside, it becomes a common phenomenon now. I think the main reason is that people want to know all of the latest news in information society, everyone does not want to be looked as eccentric man or antique. So the key issue should be quiet inside and “we know we don’t know” – we can’t know everything and we only can focus on several things.

Martin Ma - Ma Jinhui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yangyupeng on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:18 pm

It is a common sense that we should not make call while driving.Watching screen of phone or

listing to music while walking is dangerous as well.To tell the truth, when I reading the

information on smart phone, I nearly ignore the other things. I can hardly notice that a car

coming towards me or a hole is waiting me ahead. Although infromation on phone is important

sometimes, life is more valuable. We have several seconds to read mobile pehone but only one

life.Therefore stop your steps when your eyes and minds are not on the road.

yangyupeng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yonglei Xu on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:56 pm

We always focus on the window form computer or smartphone,even eating,talking ,waking and before sleeping.A lot of danger is listed in this article and we can also find the truth from the solid data.what I want to supply is that it effect us on the life style except the physical health.When we are meeting with friends and family,but your eyes still on the window.Slowly the communication by face to face became less but one day you find you are alone,even no good friends.It damages your spirit healthy.

The CBI class time with no phone goes well and you are not so important for this world. So we need be clear with the new technology and put it in a right position,then our life can be better.

Yonglei Xu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tangney on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Smartphone has really changed our lifestyle, which can help us communicate with each other in form of kinds style,like forum, Weibo,Wechat,Facebook society media, including the connection of companies, support shopping and paying the fee from daily life at anytime and anywhere. Beside above,it provide channel to access kinds of information suited for special requirement which distracts people to concentrate on working,learning,communicating with face to face as well. Just the describe "deadwalker", this state will cause to make a illness society where it has no in depth communication,no behaviors accompanied with talking,no emotion transmitting certain expression and so on. It will low the quality of communication and efficiency of work. So we need find and keep the suitable usage of the smart device.

tangney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZhangWenwen on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:21 pm

The walking zombies exactly describe what happens everyday around us, including myself. It's a habit that keeps us isolated from the environment and traps us in a unproductive thinking habits. But it's not easy to get rid of the zombie mode.

As a marketer in an evolving digita world, I'm always educated by our marketing director that i should be more sensitive about new digital things and build digital expertise. It puts me in an anxiety to desperatey get exposed to the fragmented information on mobile phone. But this article reminds me that purposeless connection on electronic devices maybe harm the thinking and shut down our real sensitivity.

ZhangWenwen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Minqiang Tim WU on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:46 pm

elaine.dong wrote:I suddenly realized that i am such a "digital deadwalkers"! I am definitely the one who is always fixated on my smartphone while drivint and walking. It's really dangarous.

Every coin has two sides. Smartphone do have brought much breakthourgh techonologies, such as social app, online purchasing, information sharing. It helps us a lot on obtaining information more easily. It enabled to connect our "fragment time pieces". But we need to be alerted that we could not be indulged in this so-called "convenient" tool, dont' let this "zombie weapon"  invade in our lifes.

Just like professor Ali mentioned on the class, "life is more about experience". It's the right time for us to put aside our smartphones/ tablets,  join in the interesting conversations with friends, feel the sunshine and breath throughly, experience the outside world by heart. We are the master of our true life.

Yes, "Life is more about experience." Don't always look at the small screen, concentrate some something valuable, complicated. Be good to your brain. Use the good side of the iPhone, just like Prof. Ali.

Minqiang Tim WU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CHANG Yan, Carol on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:09 pm

You can see this "deadwalkers" anytime anywhere, even though everyone knows that talking or texting while driving can get you killed, everyone knows its harm, why still many of us still cannot resist that "small screen"? what are the reasons behind this addiction? My personal feelings are:
1. people are eager to grab every opportunity, they don't want to miss any pieces of message in the group, it doesn't matter that information is useful to them or not, so they kept their eyes on it, refresh frequently even every second...
2. people are afraid of being lonely, maybe they are shy to communicate with others face-to-face, or not good at communicating face-to-face, but behind that small phone screen, they don't have to dare anymore.

also my opinion is the message these kind of "deadwalkers" staring/checking at all the time mainly are not something important, mostly useless, for those real critical emails or news, i believe people will stop walking and focus on replying and reading, that's something useful, luckily i am in this kind.

CHANG Yan, Carol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZHANG Ji on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:20 pm

I feel I have no time to think many things. I have no time to relax myself. So I also do many things when I am walking. I know that is very dangerous. I think many persons will like this.
I think we should remind ourselves that our distraction can be dangerous and annoying.

As the data said “Some of the best information is a bit out of date, but it gives a sense of the trend. In 2005, 256 pedestrians injured while using phones received hospital treatment, a number that grew sixfold by 2010.”

As mobile devices have become more ubiquitous, the number of emergency room visits by distracted walkers has climbed steadily. that is very convenience, but it is also dangerous.

ZHANG Ji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yfzhou83 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:42 pm

This is a good topic, phone snubbing has caused social concern.
1, it seems that people use the fragmentation time to deal with a lot of work. Mobile phone has already accompanied by people's work and life .Sometimes, when you have a dinner with your friends, some of them have been immersed in the phone. I feel that it is not respect to others, and mobile phone is no longer just a communication tool, but began to dominate our lives, are they 'kidnapped'
2, It is possible to cause cervical inflammation. Play the phone on the road will cause more dangerous, such as traffic accidents and endanger the safety of life.
3, people neglect the direct exchange of feelings, just indulge in their own network world to do the communication.

yfzhou83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan Lele(Laeticia) on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:49 pm

The article bring our attention to the danger of walking while playing mobile phones. It is surprising that it is can get people hurt when look at mobile phone while walking. What’s really thought-provoking is why people are still doing that. There is a growing trend that there are more and more additions in our daily life and people are no longer paying attention to the surroundings. Mobile could be one of the largest addiction. If we always let our minds follow the intuition, such as pursuing the addiction, over other experiences such as talking to people, experience the present, we are getting into a vicious cycle, and it might hurt our ability to think gradually.

Fan Lele(Laeticia)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZHU Yu on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:10 pm

People, especially young people, have fully been attracted by the tiny screen in the palm of their hands at any time and so called “deadwalkers”. I think it’s really dangerous if you are distracted when walking across the streets , it means you could get injured or even die. Many evidence and tragedies can back up this. As a driver, I myself once looked at my phone and edited a message when driving my car, then I didn’t notice a vehicle was making a turn and the person on vehicle fell down. I was shocked and made the right decision that I would focus on whatever I was handling and never be a digital deadwalker.

ZHU Yu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luyinxun on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:37 pm

This is a popular topic which should be noticed by every cellphone indidvidual. 'Eyes done, mind elsewhere' situation would make the following two negative aspects : first, it would put the phone lookers into a dangerous walk environment ; secondly, paying too much attention to phones would reduce the directly communication between friends & family members. Totally, the contemporary technological skills should not become the reason to cut down the firsthand connection, but just to be one of the methods to help inhance the living quality.

luyinxun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tang Yingying on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:57 pm

An over reliance on electronics may lead to troubles. Give more focuses on yourself and be responsible for lives around you.

Tang Yingying

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tang Yingying on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:01 pm

An over reliance on electronics may lead to troubles. Give more focuses on yourself and be responsible for lives around you.

Tang Yingying

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by neoli on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 pm

The zombie-like deadwalker become a social problem. It's hard to say that if the mobile device is making us have better life quality or worse. Sometimes it's impact the communication between you and your friends, your family. Even someone is not like to talk to other people, they prefer to use the IM instead. It's not a bad situation, and like a kind of addiction.

neoli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:19 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top