Eyes down, minds elsewhere, ‘deadwalkers’ are among us

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RE:Eyes down, minds elsewhere, ‘deadwalkers’ are among us

Post by He Zhiyong on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:57 am

In modern society, Mobile phone especially the smart phone play a key role in people's daily life. It covers business, entertainment and social acitivities which make it powerful and attractive. People are easily addicted by these electronic device. They're definitely distracted by keeping using the mobile phone even when they're walking or driving. It's quite dangerous and caused a lot of injuries and deads. For the sake of yourself and other people's safty, everyone should pay attention to keep their eyes on road not mobile phone. Just concentrating on driving and walking, transportation will be safer!
Besides, addiction to electronic device is kind of psychological issue. It's better to set up a psychological consulting center specially for those who are serious and can't get out of the electronic world by themselves.

He Zhiyong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eyes down, minds elsewhere, ‘deadwalkers’ are among us

Post by Freya Chen on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:02 am

The article is full of empathy with us. Today, the zombie-like creatures can be found everywhere. Almost everyone on the bus or metro immerses him/herself in the digital terminal equipment. That tiny screen like a magnet draws more and more people into the virtual world . Not only on the road, but also at the party and on the work, most of us cannot do the things without these digital equipment, especially when on our own. In China, we call these group "heads-down tribe".
As the article said, these digital deadwalkers could get hurt or even die while walking around. But the horrible data did not stop the group expansion. I think the phenomenon might come from quick rhythm life and long commuting route, which make private time be fragmented. It is a good chance for the abundant application supplied by the digital terminal equipment to fill the fragment time.

The most efficient solution is to slow down the life rhythm and get away from the digital equipment. It is time for us to enjoy the face-to-face communication and find the beauty in nature through our eyes.

Freya Chen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by liuyuanyuan on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:34 am

Looking around us, instead of talking to each other, we find couples ignore each other while focusing on their phones in restaurants; instead of appreciating the view, tourists restlessly take pictures… Not only constantly using cellphones is dangerous to our physical body, it also harms our relationships and happiness. We became incapable of focusing on single task and started to miss the real life. Happiness need concentration, thinking requires concentration. It’s okay to use cellphone. I think it is multitask by using cellphone while engaging other activities does the real damage.

liuyuanyuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wangchenlei on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:53 am

With the performance of the mobile phone is becoming more and more powerful, and internet technology is becoming more and more mature, nowdays, cell phone not only is connecting you and me, but also is a entertainment device. When we walking in busy street with among, suddenly we want to check the mail box, and reply it. It is dangerous, because we need to be very focused on replying to emails, and ignore the danger around.
Of couse, not only walking but also doing everything, we need to focuse on just one thing, and do you the best.

Wangchenlei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shi Xiankun on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:50 am

Most of us like to live with the advanced technology.And the most far-reaching changing is that we can comunicate with each
other at any time through the wireless network with carry-on devices.The devices are our cellphones.They make us convinient
but also stick to us.So we can see many people are in such status:eyes down and minds elsewhere. Deadwalkers are among
us.In fact people know that if we always look down,it not safe for us.But we always consider the walking moment or the
standing moment as the idle time as if we should have utilized the leisure to do something.Then we become abstracted.We
can't focus on the sound around and the sight front. It may cause the accident.So if we want to avoid this,we need to put
the phones into the pocket and care for the roads.Also,if we also have the good landscape on the wayside,it may take us away from the cellphones.

Shi Xiankun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kikodai on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:01 am

Deadwalker is everywhere around the corner nowadays as this article presents. People are stick with their phones no matter walking, driving or even eating with others. It is undeniable that smart phone brought lots of convenience to our personal the business life, as well as enriched our social networks through internet. I’m one the beneficiaries of smart phones like all others are, and I do think the technology development is bringing us more benefit than harm. However, when it happens to risk personal safety, it should be aroused highly attention from the society. To educate ourselves by not using the phone while doing something needs full attention such as walking and driving, and spread the safety consciousness to others become increasingly important.

kikodai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by YolandaZHANG on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:23 am

We are occupied by the messages and involved in various topics via the cell phone all day. Is it really necessary? I think there is a psychologic problem behind it that is being afraid of being forgotten, isolated and lag behind. Because of this kind of fear, we force us to connect with all the related things proactively or passively. Sometimes , even we meet with friends we haven’t seen for a long time, we play cellphone through the conversation. It is really a sad thing. But even know that addicting to cell phone has many bad effects, such as falling on the street, clashing into the pole and etc. , we still will not to change it! What’s the problem and how to solve it! In my opinion, I think the most important thing to make us change is to let us realize the meaning of our life, the important things, our goals and dreams in our entire life and start to focus on achieving it, setting plans and keeping forward.

YolandaZHANG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joyceken on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:37 pm

In the modern life, mobile phone has played a more and more important role. It helps to reduce the distance between friends, narrowing the scope of the world. Can say, mobile phone as a communication tool, really changed our lives.

But with the development of science and technology further, mobile phone and pulled open the distance from us. Friends even sat next to him not to talk, just become deadwalkers. Technology has changed our lives, but also changed the social relations between people and the way of communication.

How to use of these technology products, to make it really provides us with convenience, rather than a disguised form of damage, we need to confront the problem.

joyceken

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Ding on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Every coin has two sides. The rapid development of smartphone and social media enables people to obtain information more quickly, connect with friends more easily and work anytime anywhere. However, people are losing concentration driven by the cellphone obsession.

It's really a tragedy that more than half of injuries happened while people were fixated on their cellphones while walking in their homes. The injury may not happen to everyone. But such distraction by cellphone greatly impacts most of us. When reading a book, eating, or accompanying families, people check their cellphones every 5 or 10 minutes. It becomes harder to concentrate.

To make our life more effective and enjoy the real moment of life, we really need to put the cellphone down and focus on and experience what we are doing.

Chrissy Ding

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chengzhengguo on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:07 pm

More and more deadwalkers are killed by traffic accidents in recent years when they looked at their phone and did not pay attention on the road. We developed good mobile products and great applications to perform better lives. The people can’t leave the devices anytime, even when they walked or drove. This is very dangerous, not only for themselves, but also for others. We focused on smartphone more than our living itself. The government should have no choice to guide the people not to look at smartphone when they walk and drive. Or develop the applications to limit people to watch the phone screen while moving. This will reduce the accidents growth in the future and make the living better.

chengzhengguo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chengzhengguo on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:09 pm

More and more deadwalkers are killed by traffic accidents in recent years when they looked at their phone and did not pay attention on the road. We developed good mobile products and great applications to perform better lives. The people can’t leave the devices anytime, even when they walked or drove. This is very dangerous, not only for themselves, but also for others. We focused on smartphone more than our living itself. The government should have no choice to guide the people not to look at smartphone when they walk and drive. Or develop the applications to limit people to watch the phone screen while moving. This will reduce the accidents growth in the future and make the living better.

chengzhengguo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wang on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:19 pm

I was shocked by the percentage of pedestrians are distracted while walking even I myself being one of those "zombies". It's easy and convenient to check my phone while walking, else my mind will do nothing but wandering around. Like what prof. Ali told us, our brain likes to be "busy". When we receive stimulates, our brain is satisfied a little. But physically we don't need it, we are just addicted to it. Multitasking kills our brain. Shut the monkey brain and focus the thing on hand.

Matty Wang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mao Zhongmei on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Obviously, there's some sayings like "we're kidnapped by smart phone", "we already become the slave of our smart device and serve it". I believe it's just a stage when something new come to us. The young generation is always the key group for new things. Do you remember what happened when computers first came into the market 15-20 years ago? There was a phenomenon called "Network Addiction", which meant young people who were addicted to surfing on the internet and even didn't eat anything when they were online. Mostly, they neither made friends online or played games. Adults and parents were so worried about their children's study that they forbade them even touch the computer. But children who addicted to the internet grew up healthily and they know how to deal with the similar thing in their life. This can be called experience. People tend to be crazy when there's something new, but things will calm down afterwards. There's some people who are aware of such behavior telling people about the facts and urge the changing. I believe it will improve as time pass, someday.

On the other hand, smart phone provide us a new virtual world. It is bringing our life huge convenience, just like what computer did before. In modern business area, we can communicate and connect our clients and colleagues through some social medias. And this save much more time. We could give feedback more quickly. We save time on business, on transportation, on shopping, etc. So it makes our life more efficient. Maybe in the future, smart phone will become digital steward and part of our life.

Every coin has two sides, we should think it over instead of keeping blaming. Some bad habits like chatting on the phone while walk across the street is not appropriate. People will be aware of such behavior and abandon just like what happened decade ago.

Mao Zhongmei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wang on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Wangchenlei wrote:With the performance of the mobile phone is becoming more and more powerful, and internet technology is becoming more and more mature, nowdays, cell phone not only is connecting you and me, but also is a entertainment device. When we walking in busy street with among, suddenly we want to check the mail box, and reply it. It is dangerous, because we need to be very focused on replying to emails, and ignore the danger around.
Of couse, not only walking but also doing everything, we need to focuse on just one thing, and do you the best.

Right, focus on just one thing, that's what I need to do, and many of us too! Fortunately, we can see some changes out there. The internet companies used to attract us and draw our attention from competitors, and now I notice some slight difference. The social app, WeChat, features a new function called "mute for 1 hour". It implies that either some users have needs to be not distracted by the messages, or Tencent, the company of WeChat realized that distraction is really bad for human.

Matty Wang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mao Zhongmei on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:37 pm

Matty Wang wrote:I was shocked by the percentage of pedestrians are distracted while walking even I myself being one of those "zombies". It's easy and convenient to check my phone while walking, else my mind will do nothing but wandering around. Like what prof. Ali told us, our brain likes to be "busy". When we receive stimulates, our brain is satisfied a little. But physically we don't need it, we are just addicted to it. Multitasking kills our brain. Shut the monkey brain and focus the thing on hand.

Fortunately, we met professor Ali and was told to pay attention to our life. It's early whenever we are aware of the problem.

On the other hand, however, we need to make all of our efforts to keep pace with the high speed society. That means we have to keep ourselves in the virtual "loop" or deal with our work through mobile, because opportunities are there, our relationship are there. The key point is to keep the reality and the virtual world balance.

So take action from now on. Busy with connections online, and experience life as much as we can. BTW, checking message while on the road is really a bad habit for health, both mentally and physically.

Mao Zhongmei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ericzhangchi on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:44 pm

The prevelance of smart phones have greatly changed our life style. We are able to do so many things through devices without interacting physically with other people, such as shopping, working, entertainment, and most importantly, communication with others. We are so accustomed to such life style that we are gradually losing our ability to feel and touch the real world and start to ignore things actually happening around us. Deadwalkers can be seen on the streets, at workplaces, and at home. There is only a fine line between the effective utilization of smart phones and excessive addiction to them, thus requiring us to find a balance between the virtual world and the real world.

ericzhangchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mao Zhongmei on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:10 pm

guoqiang054 wrote:With the rapid development of society. Most of us think multi-task can help them to save time. Then they can do more work. But Against what has been wishing for. Things go contrary against one’s wishes. Decline in work efficiency more waste of time. When we get a new email, we subconscious to watch our cellphone, regardless of whether it is important. It cause some dangerous.
Data explosive growth, we must focus on what we really need. Otherwise we will drow in an ocean of data.

It's more safe to stop walking when you respond to someone through phone. Most of the time, reply is in high priority when we deal with some urgent cases. We're doing business on the phone, purchase goods through phone and even hunt for new job or take interview on the phone. It's part of our life, and make sure it's not our whole life.

Mao Zhongmei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joeerickmichael on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:12 pm

The words "zombie-like creatures" and "deadwalkers" really impressed me. In the past when I took subway in the morning, people read newspapers or read books or talked to each other. But now, instead of doing the things above, most people keep their eyes on the phone, texting or playing games or watching videos, nobody talking. And I realized that I’m just one of them. When I am walking, taking buses, having dinners, I seldom keep my eyes out of my phone. Even in the office, I would like to send email to my colleagues instead of walking to their desk and talk to them face to face. But that’s really terrible thing, the smartphone makes me social isolated but the good thing is that it’s not too late to realize this. This morning, when I walked to my office, I put my phone in the bag and I notice that sun is shining and the sky is blue. What a beautiful day!

joeerickmichael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittylin1112 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Cellphone used to be considered as a digital device to us, but now it’s more like a basic element that we can’t live without it. We use wechat to communicate with friends, we use mailbox to check personal/work email, we use phone camera to take photos… we can use the cellphone to do almost anything… But that doesn’t mean the cellphone is a good thing... As we can see in the article, people get hurt or even die while walking around by cellphone obsession. I’m not that impressed by the words "zombie-like creatures", high-tech informational society has presently bring us lots efficiency and convenience, but we have rely on it too much, and have gradually becoming the "slaves" to the hi-tech.
Although it’s hard, we still need to put the cellphone away…To spare our time on something that really need to be focus.

Kittylin1112

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ericzhangchi on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:21 pm

As a frequent user of smart phone, I have to admit that I am kind of addicted to it. It is no longer a device that serves me and helps me solve problems. Smart phone has truly become a center of my daily life. I read, study, talk, chat, work, buy stuff, pay utility bills, and even relax and entertain myself through this little device. Without it, I may get bored, unsettled and sometimes even agitated. This article rings an alarm bell, making me re-think about the very existence of smart phone and the purpose of using it. Smart phone may simplify our life and bring efficiency, rather than making us robot under its control.

ericzhangchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sy_kidd on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:46 pm

It has to be admitted that every time new technology bring up some breakthrough in our life along with something negative. Being always online is becoming a long term status for more and more of us, which always has nothing urgent to do with. Getting rid of an electronic world, we try to return a paper world to learn, an offline shop to consume and a face-to-face chance to date. But how could the evolution of daily habit go backwards? I always hear some parents stop children from playing with the devices while see themselves keep eyes on their smart phones. It's necessary for us to live a primitive life filled with interaction, creantion and imagination ignited from all around us.

sy_kidd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zhuyankarl on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:32 pm

I like the word " distracted walking ". We are now living in a world full of information. But it's coming so fast, that most of us need time to get a new skill --- focus on the important things and ignore the rubbish-information. We connect with each other through the smartphone. It's great but we need to control the tools. Otherwise we will miss the real important things in our lives.

zhuyankarl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moon819 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:57 am

From the article, we can find that it’s hard for most people to ignore their phones nomatter what they are doing. I have to say I am the one of these most people who shou take the phone anywhere, and can not feel better if I lost my phone in somewhere. but some special points given form this article that "Eyes down, minds elsewhere,‘deadwalkers’ are among us.", which means we are losing our minds when we are keep looking at our phone an just like a deadwaklers, we don't care about what happen around us and we even just like living in a vitual world. people don't talk even they are be toghter.

moon819

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by az619 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:36 am

Nowadays, mobilephone becomes the indispensible part of our life. Now texting while walking is getting more media attention, as pedestrian accident injuries and deaths are up nationwide. Too many people are walking around with their heads down, paying more attention to their cell phones than the traffic racing around them. Taking one’s eyes off the road for a few seconds to read and send text messages is more than enough time for a serious auto accident to occur. Not only are they taking their eyes off of their surroundings and therefore less able to react, they are also walking more slowly than if they were not trying to multitask, and therefore taking more time to cross at intersectionsWith. While so many adults walking around distracted by their cell phones, it’s no wonder children are following in their footsteps. Safe Kids Worldwide did a study of some 34,000 teens. The group found that fatalities due to distracted walking have increased 25 percent over the last 5 years. This fact already cause engouh attention of safty enducation. Parents already teach their children to look both ways when crossing the street. They should also teach them to put away their cell phone when walking, particularly when crossing a street. Thoug it is not easy to ask people to get rid of their phone while walking, our media should take the responsibiilty to conduct vigorous propaganda on the gravity of distrafted walking.

az619

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bo450536 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:34 am

Nowadays, there is one phenomenon that lots and lots young people playing the smart phone when they are driving or walking ,which brought lots of traffic accidents in recent years and also some robbery and theft crime cases.
With the development of mobile internet, it is more convenient that we can get every information through the phone very quickly and easily, but also it makes people not concertrate on one thing like before. They are easily attracted by lots of interesting thing in the internet and not easily get out from it. It has already changed the way and quality people think.
In order to avoiding the problems, we can do something as following:
Firstly, we can add something in the transportation law from government point of view which should strictly limit in using the phone for the walking or driving people.
Secondly, government or company should make regular publicity about the harm side which is caused by this phenomenon with some cases in order to make the people being really aware about the personal safety problem.
Anyway, there will be a new concept car which don’t need the driver in future, if anybody wants to play the phone when they are driving, they can buy it in order to ensure their security.
Let’s try to think more solution to solve the problems.

bo450536

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top