Eyes down, minds elsewhere, ‘deadwalkers’ are among us

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Enjoy life instead of being a mobile phone zombie

Post by FangYiShen on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:42 am

Smart phone has changed our life, it makes our life more convenient. But more and more people are aware of the dangers of smart phones. First of all, we can see that people are accustomed to looking at the phone on the road, this behavior is very dangerous. Secondly, we get a lot of information every day through the mobile phone, but many of them are messy and useless. They make you unable to calm down and think about the more important issues.
So I think we should keep a certain distance with the smart phones and social media. Enjoy life instead of being a mobile phone zombie.

FangYiShen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Eyes down, minds elsewhere, ‘deadwalkers’ are among us

Post by Sunli on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:45 am

When the phones or the palms gets smarter and smarter these years, I should say I got more and more tired and upset with them because I feel so kidnapped by the high-technology stuffs in my hand. I believe many people got the same feelings with me. If we look around, we can see a lot of zombie-like people walking with their smart phones and poker face. How did a digital device change us so deep in mind? I think that is because nowadays we could do almost everything through a smart device. It forces us to take the work or study 24 hours around us. And, anyone could reach us at anytime, so we seems have no where to take a break from the digital world. The result is in the really world we look like zombies and have less judgment for dangerous even when we walk across the road. Besides, we tend to ignore what is happening around or how our family and friends is feeling.

Sunli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eyes down, minds elsewhere, ‘deadwalkers’ are among us

Post by Scarlett Ma on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:15 am

Smartphones are so prevalent in our lives that they're interrupting everything from driving to walking, and from meal to movies. As the blog expressing the danger of mobile distractions over driving, walking and daily life, engaging with smartphones is sometimes taking precedence over enjoying the real and live human beings seated next to us.

First, While young people  are considered the most digitally native generation, a surprisingly big number of teens and college students wrote in, saying they're dismayed by their smartphone-reliant peers.

Second, The overwhelming majority find that people checking their smartphones while socializing with other humans to be disrespectful. But this’s happening everyday now when you go to a restaurant or a social event, and end up finding out most people are checking their phones so frequently that they ignore the people and going on talks around them.

Third, Smartphones are distracting us even when we aren’t looking at them. That itch you feel to reach for your pocket every time a phone buzzes or chirps is very real—and very damaging to our ability to pay attention to what we should be doing.

I’d advocate that the society should pay attention to this phenomenon and offer some help or education to help people find their  ‘real life’ back.
Scarlett Ma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

slow down , get rid of the bad habit of being distracted

Post by Songxiaoruo on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:22 am

The widely use of cellphone and iPad are very common in our life . Everyday, we are surrounded with numerous information through our mobile devices. The first thing we do when we wake up is to find the cellphone to find out whether there is an update with our friend or if there is a like or dislike to the photo or topic we posed on Wechat or Weibo earlier .Thus ,we have been developed a bad habit of being distracted and affected by the vital world.
It is a good thing that development of science and technology enables us to get the information we need through various channels. The convenient information service a meaningful thing to the society , but because of the abuse usage in the wrong time wrong places, it become controversial.
No one can deny that the high-tech informational society do bring us a lot of efficiency and development, but we should avoid to become the "slaves" to the technology. To use electronic equipment in the process of walking is an extremely harmful thing, with on doubt, we should immediately stop that.
The solution is to slow down a bit and learn to enjoy the view of our surroundings and spend some time with yourself or your famil .
I can’t agree more about professor Ali on "Don’t let your monkey brain control you, don’t do multitask, concentrate on doing one thing at the time". Then maybe, when we really develop a habit of concentrate on doing the current task, we might stand a chance of doing it right.
So slow down , put down your mobile device , enjoy the moment , learn to observe the surroundings and live in the moment .

Songxiaoruo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

put off the phone, experience the life.

Post by Gao Zhiyang on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:05 am

now people cannot live without the cell phone, the cell phone wake people up every morning, let people communicate during the daytime, they call, text to each other, refreshing the social network from time to time, the cell phone make people's life become easier. However, we all have been kidnapped by the cell phone. Although it provide some convenience, but it really cause problems and these problems are becoming more and more serious. According to the article, it already cause a lot of serious accidents in the traffic, some people got injured even killed on the street when they are looking are their phone or ipad, without noticing the traffic light. I suggest it is time to push people away from using the cell phone, to set some rules to control, to make more people realize the potential dangerous because of using the phone. Just like prof. Ali Farhoomand said, "to live means to experience, through doing, feeling and thinking " the cell phone is actually impeding people to experience their life.

Gao Zhiyang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by slevin.wang on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:10 am

The cellphone changed a lot as a key commnicator in our daily life. But "eyes down " phenomenon happens more in China but western countries, which is related to culture difference as western culture is more open than Chinese. To change this phenomon we may think we need to highlight the interactive section with people by rasiing some campaign.

slevin.wang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnolia_sh on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:50 am

As the portable digit devices are getting popular these days, and internet made the connecting to any where in the world much easier. People tend to use these devices, like smart phones, pads, music players too much, any time, every where.
It's over used so much that people sometimes just are lost in the virtual world, will little reaction to the real world. A good analogy for his kind of people is that they are like zombies.
In fact, devices are generated for human's usage, not for them to indulge or hinder the things in reality. After all, life is lived in reality. I hope this problems can be solved.

Magnolia_sh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wu Wei on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:00 am

All the things in the world is a double-edged sword, mobile phones and computers have brought great convenience to people's life, but how much it has certain radiation effect, if excessive, it would be harmful to eyes, fingers and nervous fatigue, affect the health of the body and mind, the more important is that it blocked the communication between human beings and the communication of the mind. Someone said, thought of the diaphragm, is two people together, but playing with their cell phone, this is physical in the near, heart in the end of the world. So, don't concentrating on a mobile phone, it can find other things to do, let oneself busy. People can cultivate interests, distract yourself slowly, let the life become full, rather than thinking about playing mobile phone all day.

Wu Wei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lynn0620 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:19 pm

After reading this article, I really feel sad about today's living style. More and more people are kidnapped by electronic devices. We begin to pay more attention to the small white screen instead of our kids, parents, partners and friends. When we go back home, after dinner, we begin to see what's up in Wechat. When we go out and spend some time with our friends, we begin to take pictures and post them to Wechat and chat through the cold small devices after eating. More and more people even play it while walking , which causes accidents. We need more face-to-face communication with our intimate people instead of enjoying unreal life through that thing.

lynn0620

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lawrence wang on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:56 pm

Under this society, there are too many distraction to prevent people from keeping focus. Some people tend to seize the time of walking to browse information, personally I didn't agree to this deeds, major reason is safety. You could not take the risk of your life in being distracted upon crossing the roads. The paper end up with an ironic example, indicating being busy is not a necessary excuse of ignoring the most important part of individual.

lawrence wang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by camille.chalons on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:24 pm

xszcomeon wrote:.

Good point !

camille.chalons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Chung on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:45 pm

wz8541 wrote:"Water can float your boat -- it can also sink it.”

I totally agree with this one: let's not forget how useful smartphones can be. In French one would say: "Il ne faut pas jeter le bébé avec l'eau du bain", which means "Do not throw the baby out with the bathwater". Anyway, I would like to highlight the context of this article: pedestrian walk. Indeed, I believe smartphones' distractions are all the more harmful since they interrupt our daily walks, which are naturally dedicated to thinking. This is not a coincidence if some of the greatest philosophers and artists of our History (from the Greek Peripatetic school to Rousseau and Lu Xun) were also very fond of walks: walking and thinking are deeply associated and it would be a shame to hinder this fundamental mechanism.

Victor Chung

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by camille.chalons on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Rosanne Wang wrote:In a society which advocates efficiency and effectiveness in a timely manner, the only criteria that judges our performance is productivity, which means, only the more output you produced can prove you efforts and contribution.

"I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date! No time to say hello, goodbye! I'm late! I'm late! I'm late!", says White Rabbit (let's change characters and not quote Red Queen for once)
albino
Lewis Caroll depicts in the White Rabbit the natural tendency to find oneself always too busy, always rushing from one place to another to get things done - the reason of why he is late is not even given, the main point is the inherent situation of being late and busy.
White Rabbit could have a smartphone in his hand afterall ! The urge to effectiveness and productivity encourages the use of all the possible tools to gain time, hence the smartphone is a wonderful invention in this sense - even though it is not always a gain of time, it feels like it is because it makes one busy.
I think we don't have enough benefit of the insight to blame "today's society". In reading the comments, it feels like it was better before ! I believe the "zombie attitude" is the other coin side of the wonderful invention of smartphone. There is nothing good or bad in that, it has created a new habit that changes our perspective of the environment.

camille.chalons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amiechen on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:16 pm

I find it disturbing that so many people are paying more attention to a mobile device, than the people around them. There are more and more "Zombie" passing by without any concentration, we need more face-to face commnucation.

amiechen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Problems caused by technology need to be solved with better technology

Post by Luke HE on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:05 pm

That just to appeal to people not to watch mobile phone when walk is useless. Problems caused by technology need to be solved with better technology. AR (Augmented Reality) technology is a potential solution, so that people can see their road at same time of watching mobile phone. Now, seems that there is a huge market!

Luke HE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry SONG on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:49 am

1 TECHNOLOGY kidnapped people's lifestyles
Technology is a double-edged sword, there is no need to reiterate this common sense. After the popularity of mobile phones, It has evolved into something of value to reflect the people's artifacts from pure communication tools. People are looking for is some kind of new mobile phone, as it is in the era of technology to catch up with some kind of symbol ,trend. Popular. It is the technology of human kidnapping, people develop a dependence on the depth of the tool. Of course, the mobile phone addiction is only modern society's many tools addiction microcosm, many people addicted to television programs, leaving the keyboard does not write, used in cars, people's use of technology to technology for people to occupy and control, lifestyle choice autonomy and ability is gradually lost.
2, information anxiety cause the phone addiction
People have all kinds of psychological needs, including security, love, respect and self-realization, the phone makes social networking access "self-realization" easier than ever, to express their personal point of view, forward and comment on, the sun personal life, can be zero cost get their feedback quickly . Meanwhile, friends and even strangers living peep, to obtain psychological satisfaction. In addition, people eager to have the right to information, constantly refresh, always concerned about the latest developments, to communicate with people to find a common topic. Internet era of information explosion, view the information through the mobile Internet more convenient, but also meet the demand for all kinds of information.
3 "mobile phone" disease is behind the self-existent sense of reality anxiety
In high tempo, rhythm acceleration of the functioning of society, life became adaptation, it is formatted, some kind of a given stream is executed step by step, work, work, school, class, unit, the family, classrooms, dormitories, which under the kind of runaway living conditions. Human values ​​are weakened, there is a sense of not properly reflected. Deep confusion makes people turn to rely on technology tools, and will be closed himself up, noisy with the outside world, tension isolation. In the narrow space of self-construction, through the use of tools to find self-worth, with play phone, Internet and other low-power way to get quiet. Modern people are always keen to chase popularity, they have to catch up, is relying on the symbol on the sense of presence and self-worth

Jerry SONG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Alma on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:16 pm

Nowadays, the social behavior has changed by mobile phone regarding communication, mobile phone is not only regard as a mobile devices but also stick as part of our body. an survey regarding the mobile phone user behaviours says:
70% check their phones in the morning within just one hour of getting up
56% check their phones before going to bed
48% check their phones over the weekend
51% constantly check their phones during vacation
44% reported they would feel very anxious and irritable if they did not interact with their phones within a week.

This change on the conversation style from face-to-face to text based conversation. Increased use can also lead to increased time on mobile communication, adverse effects on relationships, and anxiety if separated from a mobile phone or sufficient signal.

We must aware the illness of this trend that over-use of mobile phones can affect social and psychological well-being and health.

Happy Alma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top