MBA@Fudan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monkey Mind

+45
gaozhiqun
orangeli
BoqianWang
AdamWang
jameswang
Shijia_Zheng
Jeff Liang
Jennifer Yang
Xiaoyu Yuan
shan jianqiu
Lin Shuqing
Xiang.Du (Bob)
Carol-HuangSuYao
Yacheng
Tracy Bu Qijun
sunkuang
Mou Jingrui
Paul_lu
Betty Yang (Cuiping)
davidpan
benliu
ShiLiang
Weng Shechao
Lin Lixian (Lynn)
Yang Banghao
yangqing
Wang Zijiao
zhuyun
SuKang0821
Trezy Xue
wen wen
brave.han
Tristan Xia
jibinli
LUO JIAYIN
jeremy_SG
hengchao
Zhenzhen
sophiaguo
Chenchen Guo
Fu Zhenyu - Demi
zhangfang16GA
Suky Yang
May Xia
Admin
49 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Monkey Mind - Page 2 Empty Re: Monkey Mind

Post by Weng Shechao Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Before I attend the CBI class, monkey mind is a strange word for me. Now I have realised that everyone is difficult to avoid monkey mind. Just as the blog says: Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts.

In my view, monkey is a bridge to connect inner thoughts with outer world as the article mentions: monkey mind could leap from one place to another. Connection could bring creativity. Meanwhile, monkey mind may take you wander outside too much that do harm to your work. Since our technology and modern thought-control techniques still have no ultimate solution to control monkey mind, I prefer to let mind engage in external activities-encourage to imagine more scenarios and try to create more talented ideas.

Weng Shechao

Back to top Go down

Post by ShiLiang Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:11 pm

A good philosopher will rather not like himself. He hears two voices, one is his monkey mind, the other is his rational conceptual mind.

In the old days, we are encouraged to reach out as much as possible and mind-wandering is considered to be a bad habit. Nowadays, we live in the Information Age, and we receive tons of useful and useless of information pieces every day. It is getting harder to concentrate. We are bombarded with information. We are hinted to be in the informational flow that we are supposed to get informed with every latest news and happenings.

When we hear about something, the monkey mind interprets it into experience, compare with other stories, and develop something that not reflect the real thoughts. Just remember, monkey mind is in your brain and will always jump out as the primary, first, spontaneous thoughts. All you need is to calm yourself, tame your monkey mind, and train it into wisdom.

ShiLiang

Back to top Go down

Post by benliu Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Multi-task is a greatly advocated skill in modern company, we're tied to various tasks in parallel, we're tired to look for the quick answer to every questions one following another. After work, the off hours have been fragmented by every "must do", and other social activities. As the risen of social network, even reading and study have to change to comply with the fragmentation trend. As a result, it's very hard to concentrate when thinking into a single topic by intention. By reading those articles, we can understand the root cause might be the "Monkey Mind". Keep thinking, keep reflecting what we're thinking about definitely help to tame the "monkey" in the mind.

benliu

Back to top Go down

Post by davidpan Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:35 am

The monkey mind is really a bad habit to me. It is harmful for us to concentrate. I will try the mental practice of sitting alone in my bedroom for 10 mins each day before my sleep.

davidpan

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Yang (Cuiping) Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:43 am

For the second article, same as some of the commenters, the first impression of this article left me is that it is hard to believe so many people would rather shock themselves than be alone. For me, it is quite nice to have some quality time to be alone, like the meditation session in Yoga, which I like very much, and I can feel very relaxed when I think of nothing for some while.
One point may need to address. Does the ability of being alone or thinking of nothing equal the ability to let the mind wander or to disengage mentally? As indicated in the article, the ability to let the mind wander has been linked to greater working memory and increased creativity. If that is true, I may need to re-evaluate myself, since I am very ok to stay with myself. Therefore, I might need to make full use of my hidden inclination to greater working memory and increased creativity, which I have not realized and discovered yet Smile

Betty Yang (Cuiping)

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Yang (Cuiping) Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:45 am

As for the article Monkey Mind, it is quite an interesting one and we get to know about the Monkey Mind, the Conceptual Mind, Monkey Hunt, and Taming the Monkey Mind. All these get me to know better of what the coach tells us when we are meditating in Yoga and why the coach does this. Knowing better of your mind and your body can help you better treating and evaluating yourself. I will practice synchronizing mind and body in my next meditation and enjoy the taming of the monkey mind.

Betty Yang (Cuiping)

Back to top Go down

Monkey Mind - Page 2 Empty Review my own monkey mind

Post by Paul_lu Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:52 am

Some pieces of thinking come to mind after I read this article,
1) Yes, I have monkey mind, and I believed it is pointless, but it is not easy for me to control my own mind, and sometimes I feel so tired with monkey mind, even it bring most or less no value to myself.
2) Conceptual mind could be trained or not, it is my question. I think we can be on the way to the conceptual mind, but not mean totally away from monkey mind.
3) Distraction is a big topic for me, either for work and life. multi task sometimes hurt me a little bit, I always try some way to improve it, but still not work very well, but now Jazz could be an option works well for me, focus on music, enjoy a real rest.

Paul_lu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mou Jingrui Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:53 am

After reading these two articles, I can learn something from them.
The first article tells us that the generation of innovative idea always needs a long deliberation. Behavior of blurting instructs lack of serious thinking. The presence of monkey mind often have people to make mistakes, so taming the monkey mind for us to establish a good thinking habit is very important.
We can learn from the second article that the first step in the establishment of good thinking habits. You need to learn how to control your thoughts and recognize that thought control requires a good method. Meditation is a good choice, persisted in meditation can make you thinking more agile and becoming more vigorous, and it can improve sleep quality else.

Mou Jingrui

Back to top Go down

Post by SuKang0821 Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Trezy Xue wrote:I read these blogs a few days before the first sessions. At that time I felt it was not true that monkey mind could beat my brain. But during the sessions, well...monkey mind seemed never lose. In the old school days, it was very common that me and my classmates were easily distracted from the class by small distractions. Parents always thought this was because lack of self-discipline of the youth. But now, even we are grown-ups and have our own kids, we are still easily flying our mind out of the class. It is a life-time course to learn to focus.

The thing I get from "Enter the Monkey" is you need to focus on your body sensation to overcome monkey mind. The thing I get from "Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts" is that "focus on thinking" itself is really difficult.

Putting yourself into an empty state is preparing yourself to receive more. The information out there is growing in a accelerated velocity, even if we don't sleep, we are not able to get them all. Conversely, if we can slow down, empty our mind for a second, we might surprise ourselves how it will lead us to creativity and efficiency.

I fully agree with you that "lack of self-discipline" is not the main reason for distraction but the naughty monkey in our mind keeps us from focusing.  To tame the monkey, we have to accept the existence of the monkey and use some tools, like meditation, to put the monkey in the zone we can control.

SuKang0821

Back to top Go down

Post by sunkuang Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:22 pm

I believed the result of the experiment to be correct, which said most-men-would-rather-shock-themselves-than-be-alone-with-their-thoughts. I hate to feel lonely. But sometimes, I like to be alone. As a Christian, when I pray, I feel very peaceful and I can definitely concentrated. It is a very magic feeling.

sunkuang

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Bu Qijun Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:20 am

I never realized how hard it was to bring the mind same here and now with my body. Now I realize the importance of mindfulness. Another takeaway of the class is actually taking away the cell phone is a good way to let myself focus on what I am doing. Sometimes when I have some spare time, I just pick up my cellphone or open wechat without even noticing it. Taking away the mobile phone for purpose can actually make me think how I should use that spare time doing something meaningful.

Tracy Bu Qijun

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacheng Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:14 am

Both articles state that our minds jump from one idea to another, we just cannot let ourselves clam down. This activity, I believe, often fills us with anxiety. We fear the end of one thought and think of emptiness, then we start doing something to make distractions for ourselves.
It may be important to learn how to control minds and to focus on one thing. Monkey minds may drag down our productivity in daily routines, since our focuses suffer from mind wandering.
However, minds wandering may be good thing for creativity. As we may draw some ideas from random thinking when we are alone.

Yacheng

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan Xia Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:57 am

Yacheng wrote:Both articles state that our minds jump from one idea to another, we just cannot let ourselves clam down. This activity, I believe, often fills us with anxiety. We fear the end of one thought and think of emptiness, then we start doing something to make distractions for ourselves.
It may be important to learn how to control minds and to focus on one thing. Monkey minds may drag down our productivity in daily routines, since our focuses suffer from mind wandering.
However, minds wandering may be good thing for creativity. As we may draw some ideas from random thinking when we are alone.

You mentioned about the word "emptiness", which make me think a lot.
Many times when we say "emptiness" or boring, we have not to do both with our mind or our hands. It's almost impossible for us to just stay there empty.
However, it is said that "emptiness is one kind of productivity". Because of emptiness, people always want to have something to do, have a wayout of their energy, have a place to release their desire. Therefore, like you said in the end. mind wandering may also generate creativity.
Therefore, the question becomes that how we deal with emptiness to create values, instead of waste in mind wandering or anxiety.

Tristan Xia

Back to top Go down

Post by Carol-HuangSuYao Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:18 am

It is an interesting experiment. Like the monkey, sometimes we are difficult to concentrate. We can’t sit down and meditate for a while, because there are a lot of things can easily lead us to distraction. But the “monkey mind” is not a bad thing. It is helpful for creativity and inspiration.

How to control our mind? What we should do is not to hold down the wandering mind, but to tame our mind. We should learn to guide the random thinking to be a part of our body. And we will calm down and think with human brain.

Taming mind can be trained and learned. For example, Yoga and meditation are helpful to an inner peace.

Carol-HuangSuYao

Back to top Go down

Post by Xiang.Du (Bob) Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Both articles are focused on the psychological metaphor occurs when we are alone.
All of us seemed to have personally engaged in unsettled, restless, and discursive thinking which the author called “monkey mind” and we also attempted to rid ourselves of monkey mind. Therefore, the result of the experiment described in the second article turned out to be “most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts”.
The main point I’ve learned from the articles is that we should avoid wandering thinking by external distraction such as social media or smart phones, but tame the monkey mind using the basic method of synchronizing mind and body.
Learning and practicing the method can prevent us from harmful effects of “monkey mind”, and meanwhile benefit from the increasingly creativity generated from wandering thinking in a positive way.

Xiang.Du (Bob)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lin Shuqing Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:05 pm

I struggle with my monkey mind quite often. Then I found in two situations I could get along with the monkey. One is doing what I love. My mind will become peaceful and I will focus on what I do. Another one is working under pressure, like writing paper before deadline. I will work efficiently with my attention highly concentrated.

Lin Shuqing

Back to top Go down

Post by shan jianqiu Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:18 pm

Monkey mind is good word to describe the mind without deep thinking on a problem.People usually don't have so much patient to consider problems more precisely. They are hurry to answer the question. But, sometimes they doesn't know the real issue of it.Take some time to find out all reasons behind of the issue, think the major facts which could cause the problem happened. Then trying to combine these facts together, we may find the truth.
To keep your monkey mind silent is not easy, but it can help you excise your thinking to be more structural and systematical. This is more like a habit. If you get used to it, it will become a part of you. With this habit in our lives, we can make less mistakes and have more thoughtful decisions.

shan jianqiu

Back to top Go down

Post by Xiaoyu Yuan Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:52 pm

It’s interesting to know there is a monkey mind in my mind. When I firstly started my yoga practice, at the beginning of the session, instructors always spend 5-10 min to set us in peaces. They guide us to keep our minds focus on our breathe, feel the flow in our body, send Chi to the very end of the body and feel the reaction. Sometimes, I was able to manage myself focusing on the body. But half of the time, I had monkey mind taking charge. With more and more practice, I start to be mindfulness, with each more breath, I can calm down, sync mind the same pace with body and flows.

The yoga session does not only strengthen my body but also helps me better manage my mind. Nowadays, every morning and night before I go to sleep, I would like to take a 10 min zen. Morning session are more like a fresh start, wake up the physical functions and clear my mind to set up the mood for a new start. Every night, I will be replay what happened today, what I did good and should be keep doing, what I didn't do good enough and how can I improve. After run all those through, I start to clear my mind and sync with the heart beat and breathe. I benefit a lot from the practice!

Xiaoyu Yuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer Yang Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:45 pm

I still remembered in the first class of CBI, Professor Ali asked all of us to meditate. It was my first experience of meditation, and I realized iT was so difficult to think nothing and just sitting there. After reading this article: Enter the Monkey. I know why I could not focus on thinking nothing, because of monkey mind. In my opinion, monkey mind will be harmful sometimes, but sometimes not. To myself, monkey mind makes me very relax, and my thoughts fly here to there without limitation, and it helps me remember much of memories. However, we should learn to control the monkey mind, attempting to get rid of the monkey is not a good idea, but we can learn to tame and train the monkey by bring the awareness back to the body, we can try in our daily life.
The second article"Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts" has shown us a very interesting and strange phenomenon. In that experiment, only 6 of the 24 women shocked themselves, while 12 of the 18 men did so, maybe men tend to be more "sensation seeking" than women. Maybe we should think: there are so many modern distractions for us to use, maybe it is because we need that. If it is true, I think we should take time to thinking or meditating alone, by this way, maybe we can recognize what is our original desire, what we have done, what we should do next.

Jennifer Yang

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Liang Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:02 pm

When I was driving on a not-busy high speed way, sometimes monkey mind appears, which is harmful activities for me and others at that moment. But obliviously that is one kind of bad habit, especially for some people that he or she is too busy to stop thinking no matter in which circumstance they are.

Jeff Liang

Back to top Go down

Post by Shijia_Zheng Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:30 pm

The monkey mind thing happened a lot on me and somehow, I found it was not so annoying… Monkey mind distracts you from concentrating, which leads to low efficiency; however, in my point of view, it also enables your mind to rest for a while and sometimes, I found it was so helpful that I would come up with more ideas after monkey mind happened.

Shijia_Zheng

Back to top Go down

Post by jameswang Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:32 pm

It's ironic that serveral thousand years ago we people fight against with monkey mind by inventing words and language,which make people different from animal and now we own so much information in hand which we called information society,but people became slave of information by excessive use of social media like weibo and wechat etc.these two articles remind us we human being should focus on conceptual thinking but not monkey thinking .it is really good lesson for us to learn.

jameswang

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamWang Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:16 pm

It's very interesting topics. "monkey mind" trends to me that my mind wandering would be here and there.
For instence, are you awared how you focused on your thinking?
On the other hand, when you are in a discussion/decision to make with your colleagues, our brain can help you not limite thinking inside what you know but also out of the box thinking.
for myself, I’d like to try and see how it helps.

AdamWang

Back to top Go down

Post by BoqianWang Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Before this course, I did not notice that there is a monkey mind inside my head. But when do realize it now, I strongly feel that I need to learn how to work with it. Thanks to one of these two articles, I know how to work with it in detail now, by taming and training the monkey brain. It's not easy and it takes time. Now it is the right time to start.

BoqianWang

Back to top Go down

Post by orangeli Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:46 am

Experimented in the second aritcle, researches found that people had difficulties sitting along doing nothing but thinking. Commenting on this result, I make an exception since I do a lot of visualization or so called "day dreaming", during which i make conversation with myself. However I am not going to say, it is always good for mind building. If the mind was busy with useless thinking, which means the thinking has nothing positive effect to make work or life better, for instance the mind keeps worrying about the project delivery on work or constantly worrying about health situation. Under these circumstances, the mind was trapped by conceptual thinking. The conceptual thinking bring nonexistancy into current moment and full your mind with things either had happened in the past and ceased or have not jet existed.
Practice of being along with own is a good way to get rid of interfere. But taking care of the mind when it is wandering around. Try to focus on inner world which should be calm, peaceful and in the moment, not sad, or angry, or worry about ourselves.

orangeli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next