Topic : the age of loneliness is killing us

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Topic : the age of loneliness is killing us

Post by Wang Qin on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Sometimes we need to learn to enjoy the lonliness. when we are young, we are busy with lots of things, Lonliness seems far away from us. But actually most people are not relaize they are lonely, they lack of faith.
After they get old, faithless made them more loniless.

Wang Qin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zhouxm 周晓敏 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:57 am

People find more and more difficult to find happiness and compete for survive, wealth, status and more resources.
Fast growing of society is leading people less think about the true meanings of life. people have to get used to the speed of information booming and make a decisin quickly. And the implementation of social media(such as Weibo,Weixin,IM) make the situition more intensive. It seems that people get more connected with each other, unfortunately the more exposure we do,the more lonely we feel. Actually, people become isolated becasue the physical communiations such as eye or body connections are replaced by more online communications.People can speak up or hide real thinkings without any hesitation. Thus the mutual trust become weaker than ever.

learning from Ali's class, i think people should learn to slow to review the meanings of life and focus on something can make you happy from inner heart

zhouxm 周晓敏

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyatt Weiqi Mao on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:43 am

Maybe self-center and the sense of competition are just inherent parts of our system 1? In the old days when there were still many threats to our existence, the center was still put on the entire tribe so that our ancestors competed with other specise for their lives.
With the rapid growth of our technology, no other specise seems to be a threat to us. However, the sense of competition was reserved in our system 1 and the only one we can compete with is human being ourselves.
To get rid of this loneliness, should our system 2 be a solution that worth trying, even though the limited resource makes the competition inevitable. As one sentence goes in the KongFu Panda, find our inner peace.

Wyatt Weiqi Mao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise Shan Yan on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:48 pm

I would like the point out that Loneliness mentioned by the author is a First World Problem. First World Problem is a term used to refer to issues in the First World nations that are complained about only because of absence of more pressing concerns. In the industrialized countries, people watch TV a lot and spend more and more time on digital gadgets, but this is their OWN choice. They could choose to volunteer to take care of senior citizens, to tutor the young, or to go out and contribute to the community and just connect with people.

I agree with Li Gang that you have to reach out on your own to get rid of loneliness.

And people who fight for their survival are less inclined to feel lonely, because they tend to build a comradeship among them and care about each other.

And I would like to address another kind of loneliness in our country that is definitely unhealthy: the children who are left home by parents who go to work in factories in the industrialized cities. They are mostly raised by their caring grand-parents but they don’t have immediate communications with their parents in need and they are unlikely to have health bonding with their parents, which is bad for their mental health. This will reflect in the future of our society.

Louise Shan Yan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Xu Yanyan on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:34 pm

This is a good topic but maybe we are reluctant to raise. We all have a few or lot of "friends" or "contact" in the virtual world. We spend more than half our leisure time on different social tools. We press "like" buttom for our "friends" on the facebook or Wechat friends circle. Sometimes, we write comments and join the group discussion. But when put down the phone, we somehow feel "untruth" and loneliness. We even don't know how to have a face to face conversation with the friends online. THIS IS A PROBLEM!

Good thing is we now are having IMBA, and learnt how to "Focus" and "FLOW" via CBI course. Spend more time on your touchable family, friends, classmates. Sure that you would feel more concrete about the things or people you can have. Also, reading a book, having a tour, hi-tea with friends, these are all workable solutions to reduce the loneliness feelings.

LESS Virtual, MORE face-to-face!

Kelly Xu Yanyan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lin Jue-Celina on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:47 am

Compared with past decades, we are now more developed in both transportation and communication, why techonology development dosen't make people closer? We blame about the digital age that virtualized everything including friends and alienated ourselves from closed ones,but is that just an excuse or is that people from the deepest of their hearts don't really care about it anymore and people are willing to accept the loneliness. If I can chat with friends online, why bother going out? But what if people can have more meaningful things to do offline, why they would still stick themselves online?

Everyone is busy pursuing for money in this accerating society. If we can relive ourselves from money pursueing for a while, maybe it would be helpful that we can spend sometime with ourselves to regain peace and patience. Only then can we start to embrace real life happiness.

Lin Jue-Celina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yin Hong on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:54 am

The vitualization of people who are immersed in different apps made creates loneliness. People tend to communicate through all kinds of terminals like laptop, tablets, mobiles which sounds very efficient and effective. However when people are face to face, less talk is done on the spot. People still tends to check what messages have been received on the terminals. My feeling is those communications through different devices could be on simple things only. We could never achieve the best interaction through cold devices. Communications involves not only words but physical expressions as well. The addict to and rely on devices made people forget or put aside the traditional way of communication. In the meanwhile, people tend to hide the deep feelings as cold device cannot deliver those messages. As time goes by, people feel lonely even in front of a big crowd as you see, very few are talking to others but busy with their cold devices only.

Yin Hong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Away from the electronic devices

Post by Daisy Zhou on Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:36 pm

I am impressed by the picture that all the friends put their cellphones on the center of the table when they had dinner together. People should learn how to talk face to face and enjoy the real world the people around you.

Daisy Zhou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wu_Shenglan on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Modern society, shallow life, profound loneliness
Nowadays, because of the fast pace of life, people are busy for work, for family, for their children, for the future. But they don't hear other people's heart, don't hear other people's voice, even listen to their own heart. With new chat tools, people are more busy chatting with electronic tools instead of face to face.
I suggest that people take time to spend more time with their family, give them a hug and regards.
Money, the reputation maybe not comfort your heart. A warm family, good friends will always unconditionally stand behind you, that will give us a final haven, make us not feel loneliless.

Wu_Shenglan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

the age of loneliness is killing us

Post by Susan Yuan on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:17 pm

This is the age we connect each by texts instead by face to face meeting or calling. We have many connections in our contact list but many of them never meet or make a phone call. Typically we use we chat long time with someone, finally we find out there is no that telephone number but it’s really request to reach that man. We haven’t written a letter to a friend but rather type on the laptop or cell phone screen. Is it a good thing for connection or it’s inevitable for our generation? We are easy to picture our in the competition instead of think teamwork. We hardly to squeeze time bonding thanks to we already easy to get in touch with each other by we chat or instant message or email every second. That’s another loneliness result in terms of smartphone addiction. I am the one that with myself many the time. It’s double-edged sword to own personal time however sometimes I feel loneliness. Read the article, I ponder that I haven’t meet with my intimate friend long time.  Embarassed

Susan Yuan (Yuan Shuo)

Susan Yuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

We should pay attention to the loneliness

Post by Susan Yuan on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:28 am

So far many left over woman and man are common in our society. I feel empathy when my colleague who was devoiced, always complained she was afraid of illness thanks to loneliness and worries. Do we have time with our family members? Parents, Children and friends are never our priority compare to our competition. Why we feel lonely although we richer than before? As we seldom have someone to share and talk compare to our childhood. We have many friends who live in the same yard or same building. It’s very common to communicate face to face and enjoy time with them when we are young. But we have masks and even don’t know our neighbors. That’s the root of loneliness. We need support system to bring bonding back. Go back home to visit parent, stay several hours with friends or shopping with colleagues. That’s the human being healthy life.

Susan Yuan (Yuan Shuo)

Susan Yuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wang Qin on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Chen Xinyu wrote:There is the popular sentence: The longest distance in the world is I’m right in front of you, but you are looking at your mobile. It reflects a prevalent phenomenon in modern society that people are over-indulging in mobile devices. We don’t bother to look around the real world, either in subway, restaurants or a family get-together. We have many familiar strangers on social networking, commenting under their post every day without really knowing each other.  Many of us have a long list of contacts and haven’t really talked to each other for long. We would rather check out Google map for directions than consulting a stranger. It’s time to put down our mobile and walk into reality.

I fully agreed with you. The distance between people is not the distance, it is your mind's distance. Information addiction influence our a lot, even made us lost. Our generation is lonely, but we not realize.

Wang Qin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tang Weijie on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:53 pm

After reading the article, the first point appears in head is the smart phone addiction all around the society. It is a phenomenon in the age of loneliness.
Nowadays in Shanghai, no matter you get on a subway or sit in a restaurant, a similar scene you will see is that most of the people in that place low their heads to play the smart phones. They may be talkative in the virtual world, but very shy even silent in the real world.
We all need to learn more about how to communicate with others face to face, pay attention to people's emotion and give feedback immediately. If we rely on the social media with smart phone all the time, we will lose the ability to express our feelings and even behave like machines in the end. That will be a very sad news.

Tang Weijie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chen Yonglei on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Tang Weijie wrote:After read the article, the first point appears in head is the smart phone addiction all around society. It a phenomenon in the age of loneliness.
Nowadays in Shanghai, no matter you get on a subway or sit in a restaurant, a similar scene you will see is that most of the people in that place low their heads to play the smart phones. They may be talkative in the virtual world, but very shy even silent in the real world.
We all need to learn more about how to communicate with others face to face, pay attention to people's emotion and give feedback immediately. If we rely on the social media with smart phone all the time ,we will lose the ability to express our feelings in the ends. That is a very sad news.

Again,your comment along with Susan's inspire me another PARADOX that the more mordern the city is, the more noise it is alone with, the more distant each other who just stand beside you is. I remember that couple months ago I wathced a small online vedio named "Head up", saying that we are missing to many beautiful things and even matters in our daily life just because we always keep playing our smartphone. The loneliness now is a city's sickness and even will be a world wide illness which would kill the human being one day if we could't face to it seriously.

See my points of view on the first page to treat this issue.

Chen Yonglei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Summer on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:23 pm

I think it's a classical topic since human beings exist. However, this phenomenon is much more obvious than ever before. I think there are several factors for this loneliness. As rapid development of economy, people live much more convenient and comfortable with high technology than ever before. There are less situations for people to help or communicate with each other because high technology could handle all. But people needs interaction with other people whatever in face to face or by mail in any circumstances. For another, nowadays's life pace is fast, people seldom have time or patience to talk to others or even families members. However, human beings need warm and love, which are given by others by communication. Lacking love and care, people would feel lonely. Although feeling lonely for a while or moment is common and normal, if this status lasts for long time, people would feel nothing better than being dead. So we should focus more on our present surroundings and what we are interested in, and engage with the people who shares time.

Summer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry YAO on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Nowadays the technology is developed in a high speed and most tasks can be done by the internet which with lots of functions, the high technology makes people more convenient and efficiency. However because of this the communication between people by replaced by the internet. there is an interest phenomenon, some people have friends in the internet, and they always talk by the internet, however in the real life when they meet they have no topic to chat and fell very strange each other.

So the face to face communication cannot be replaced by any other chatting style. Only this style can provide a real feeling about each other, because you can observe his/her emotion and read the real feeling of him/her.

Cherry YAO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yin Hong on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:13 pm

The pressure of work and pace of life makes people have no time to relax with the family or friends. Especially for men, they are traditionally regarded as the pillar of the whole family and cannot cry either in the public or at home. I believe they feel more lonely deep in heart.

Yin Hong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Loneliness VS. Social

Post by Susan Yuan on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Loneliness damages our lives. It will cause potential harm to the health of the immune system. No matter what’s colorful your life will be, everyone should and need to open the heart and share happy or sad with intimate friends. According to tens year research, American cardiac disease authority Dr. Dean Ornish who is former USA president Bill Clinton’s general counsel of medical care, he claims good support relationship can prevent and reduce heart ill, providing the body’s resistance. I recommend the book of Dr. Dean Ornish-Love and Survive. We can learn how to use close relationship support to medical effects. cheers

Susan Yuan(Yuan Shuo)

Susan Yuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle, LI Jing on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:42 pm

This article is thought-provoking. It reminds me when I was young, my relative who came back from Tokyo told us, in Tokyo life pace is really fast, people walking on the street like running. Nobody is talking on the bus or on subway. There were no smile on people's faces as well. I have been working in Lujiazui area for 9 year. In recently years, I felt the same as what my relative described to me What she saw in Tokyo. Shanghai this years developed into an international city. It can compare with any famous city in the Would. Same fast pace, "running" young professionals, no smile on their face. Take a look at people in the sabway80-90% of the passengers are watching Cell phones. Same in a restaurant, when couples when out for dinner, after a while they take out cell phone and gets on to the social media. They seems do not care and interested in the person beside them, but more interested in the virtual world in social media. Who went to Paris, Who brought a big new hours, who got a LV bag from boy friend.... Just like prof. Ali said, we care less about people around us, we don't know how to communicate with our family members, friends, but we care so much how others friends even strangers look at us. How we live decent enough in other people's eyes. Social media makes people become indifferent in person, but very much careful in virtual world. I think we do need to limit our access to social media and focus to our family and friends, focus and enjoy the moment, we will see the different world.

Michelle, LI Jing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle, LI Jing on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:51 pm

One more thing I forgot to mention, as parents, we do need to limit the impact of social media to our children. I once see a piece of news that a two year old little girl from Brain is suffering from Ipad addiction. And her parents cannot help her, and only could send her to hospital to get treatment and get rid of the addiction. I think we do need to prevent the impact of social media and high-tech staff like tablets to our children. Adult even not able to control ourselves sometimes, not to mention Children. They should be lead with good and positive examples, to live in a way more close to nature, and people. So, as parents, let’s make positive changes to ourselves first, and all be good role model for children.

Michelle, LI Jing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mirror zhao on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Do you know who your neighbour is? Do you remember to say happy birthday to your parents? But how many “like” you have given to your We Chat's friends sharing? Are you really happy with the picture sharing rather than having the food itself? Are you feeling more comfortable talking in We chat group rather than talking with the friends face to face?
A news have wrote that a grand old man stand up and leave the table in family dinner because all children around are typing phones without talking to each other. People seems already get used to talking in the virtual world, more and more people are trying to catch up the virtual world without thinking does this really make us more happy and more “friends”. The Internet connects more and more peoples together but pushes people’s heart far away with each other. People feel lonely after comparing and competing of “happiness”. What makes a person lonely is the fact that they want more social interaction than what is currently available.
The more connections does not show us less lonely but more. We really need to jump out of the box to think about what makes us more happy and healthy. What we should do in the real world rather than in virtual world.

mirror zhao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Disable capability under loneliness generation

Post by Susan Yuan on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:55 pm

It’s very common we can see everyone touches the screen of the smart phone or IPAD either on the way to home/company or during work and eating etc. We communicate each other mainly by touching the scree instead of meet or give a call.
Especially we can find out even younger generation is more seriously and heavily depend on the electricity devices to contact. They are lack of or losing the ability to communicate with others. Almost all of us are addictive to the texts or wechat from time to time checking the smart phone. There are many pictures and stories that we can see from our friends sharing. The more they share, the more we feel lonely and distantly. It claims there is no any generation like now we close to the machine more than interact to the people. We sooner or later will have the price from the technology development. We may be very skilled at current digital devices operations such as mobile or laptop, but we lose opportunity to observe people and be empathized them. It’s common that many complains at hospital majority can deal with by communication. The skill at linguistics is very critical to many service industries and each of us. With loneliness and powerlessness are very frequently at current. That is the reason many organization provides many psychological service to ease the loneliness from nursing of physical to mental.

Susan Yuan (Yuan Shuo)

Susan Yuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry YAO on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:27 am

Cherry YAO wrote:Nowadays the technology is developed in a high speed and most tasks can be done by the internet which with lots of functions, the high technology makes people more convenient and efficiency. However because of this the communication between people by replaced by the internet. there is an interest phenomenon, some people have friends in the internet, and they always talk by the internet, however in the real life when they meet they have no topic to chat and fell very strange each other.

So the face to face communication cannot be replaced by any other chatting style. Only this style can provide a real feeling about each other, because you can observe his/her emotion and read the real feeling of him/her.
This is the main reason why people feel so lonely in this society, I recommend people can use high technology communication ways in the job but remain the traditional ways in life.

Cherry YAO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Qian Jianming - Richard on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:22 pm

It is really a serious problem, like a sort of plague, we are facing. The values of society has changed. What people presue is not the ture happy but superficial achievement. It is freaky that more and more people regard earning money as the ultimate goal in their life.
Just as many classmates said, the development of technology is an important factor influencing people's values, but I think what we do is how to use technology reasonably and how to correct our values.
To some extent, we are over-use our technology. It is ture that technology can benefit our life and work, but we rely on it too much. For example, communication device is a convenient tool for us, but it can not replce all our communication activities. People prefer chatting with friends online to meeting face to face, or intend to spend more time to watching the screen rather than to having party outside. Like what Professor Ali said, we may reduce the time using cell phone, ipad, or other electronic devices. We need to spend more time on face to face communication with people to feel real world.
Nowadays, everything becomes fast, including our thinking speed. Maybe that's why more and more people pay more attention to money. The aim of our life is a meaningful question. Besides money, we have more things worthy to do. We may slow down our thinking speed to think about it carefully, considering what we exactly need. Money is a tool, which should be one of paths reaching our final goal. We should see farther forward to find the ture meaning of our life.
On the other hand, the pressure of people is so heavy, making us sub-health. Therefore, we need sports and face to face communication more than even to ease the stress. With the changing of our life environment, we also have to change our life style positively.
To sum up, we should thinking slowly to think about what we exactly need and correct our values accordingly.

Qian Jianming - Richard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wangtao on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:49 pm

I read the passage of this topic before.I want to give a say of my opinion about it.
Yes,  China and the world are aging very fast. The writer of this passage gave us a lot of information about the negative influence of 'the age of loneliness'.
It is a big issue and challenge in China now.
I remember when I was a child, the adults worked together. They lived together and shared the same information. However in today's socity, we live far from our parents and grandparents.They are lonely because of the less connection in daily lives.And the urbalization is maybe another reason for loneliness.Most of us do not know the neibours because of urbanizaton.
As the passage mentioned we are social creature.So, we need socal connection,however our social connection was somehow cut off by the fast changing socity itself.
The poor are  not happy because they are poor. So they are troubled  by anxiety, dissatisfaction and loneliness. The weathy are not happy, because they want more. So they are also troubled  by anxiety, dissatisfaction and loneliness.
 So what is the point ?
 What should we do?
 Not just work , work , work
 Not just money, money ,money.
 Relax!
 Slow down!
 Enjoy the lives with your family, your friends,etc.

wangtao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:19 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top