multitasking

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

multitasking

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Hello, everyone. Our new topic about multitasking come again. This time please read the passage from the linkage http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2014/10/08/multitasking-damages-your-brain-and-career-new-studies-suggest/ and show your own ideas to create a heated discussion. Thank you.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 23
Join date : 2014-06-26

View user profile http://fudan-mba.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Jessica_Ren(Yan Jin Ren) on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:32 pm

From my point of view, multitask are not efficient and effective because we can not fully concentrate on more than one task at the same time and it may cause us to make more errors. Dealing with multiple things will also make us drained and feel a lot of pressure. On the other hand, it will be dangerous in some situation with multitasking. For example, when you are driving, if you not focus on the road, you may lose your life.
So if we want to improve the quality of our work, feel less stress, become more efficient and have more energy at the end of the day, we should make good schedule and not multitask.

Jessica_Ren(Yan Jin Ren)

Posts : 5
Join date : 2014-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Joanna(Zhang Xiaojing) on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:14 am

It is not the first time we heard this that multitask lows down your performance. We design the production line with the operators repeating the same motion but not in less than 20 seconds. We don’t allow our children to watch TV the same time as eating. Law doesn’t allow drivers to speak on the phone when driving. A lot of evidence have shown us multitask is ineligible.
But to improve the productivity or efficiency, some actions should be taken anyhow:
1. We have all kinds of tasks every day, divide them with the priority like this:
Important, less important, emergency, less emergency.
Write down what you are going to deal with every morning, separate them with:
First, complete the important and emergency tasks;
Second, complete the important and less emergency tasks;
Third, complete the less important but emergency tasks;
Fourth, complete the less important and less emergency tasks.
2. 5S is also a good tool for you to cope with everyday tasks, when you put everything at the right place, you don’t even need to think about it to get it. Tidy up your desks every day after work; take out your notebook every morning to write down today’s work. Open and completed tasks folder to separate files. You will feel inspired when you complete every task on your notebook, the same time you can figure out the time you spent on each task, find a better way to improve;
3. Once you start a task, try your best to complete at one time, the disturb will cost you more time and more attention on the same thing that doesn’t create value. So anytime somebody is coming to you to stop you, be polite to tell them to wait for a moment;
However even though we can find all the ways to improve efficiency without doing multitasks; we still have too much work which couldn’t be completed in the work time. But we have to remember, we would rather do overtime work, not do multitasks. You think you have improved your efficiency; in fact you are damaging your brain and your health.

Joanna(Zhang Xiaojing)

Posts : 4
Join date : 2014-09-29
Age : 34
Location : Shanghai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Bonnie CHEN(Chen Bo) on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:59 am

Multi-tasking is really an interesting topic to disucuss. Before taking Professor's class, I've been always holding such belief that multi-tasking is an important competency to decide whether one staff is competent or not. Even my company also take it as the core ability for its' employees.
But now after knowing the brain system and research reports, it's really ironic. The brain only function well when it's concentrated in one single task. Besides, I'll never set multi-tasking as objective or improvement aspect for my team members.

Bonnie CHEN(Chen Bo)

Posts : 4
Join date : 2014-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Enjoy your life by concentrating on one task

Post by Wu Shujun(Helena Wu) on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:26 pm

We know the potential damage to our brain if we carry our jobs in multi-tasking type, but the problem is whether we can easily avoid multi-taking. When we were a kind, our parent forced us to concentrate only one task especially when we were studying. So with pressure from our parents, it will be much easier for us to avoid multi-tasking. But when we grew up, we have to act as different roles, we will feel pressure from our work and life. Then it is not strange for you to find parents talk on the phone with friend, check email from mobile phone or read article using their mobile when they stay with their kids. This is just one simple example from our daily life. From our daily jobs, we can find even worse situation. I once suffered problem of multi-tasking, which makes me nervous, lower my happiness. So I took action to focus on one task every time and define all the jobs according to difficulty level and urgency level to complete them one by one. I really improve my working efficiency from then.

Wu Shujun(Helena Wu)

Posts : 6
Join date : 2014-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Bonnie CHEN(Chen Bo) on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:14 pm

So there's no multi-tasking, it's only about time management. We only can address problems one by one and only focus and concentrate one subject one time. It makes sense when you think about it profoundly. If you do multi-tasks, you are easily get distracted and definitely your performance cannot be good

Bonnie CHEN(Chen Bo)

Posts : 4
Join date : 2014-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Edward(Wang Yunzhi) on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Jessica_Ren(Yan Jin Ren) wrote:From my point of view, multitask are not efficient and effective because we can not fully concentrate on more than one task at the same time and it may cause us to make more errors. Dealing with multiple things will also make us drained and feel a lot of pressure. On the other hand, it will be dangerous in some situation with multitasking. For example, when you are driving, if you not focus on the road, you may lose your life.
So if we want to improve the quality of our work, feel less stress, become more efficient and have more energy at the end of the day, we should make good schedule and not multitask.
Actually, i am quite agree with you.
Now adays, it is more and more difficult for a person to focus on one task, the reason is that there are too many information that disturb us to focus on. My suggestion for out daily work is that, at the beginning of our job, we should make a plan first, try to rank them by importance and do them one by one, try to concentrate on one task at one time.

Edward(Wang Yunzhi)

Posts : 4
Join date : 2014-10-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wu Shujun(Helena Wu) on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:53 am

Edward(Wang Yunzhi) wrote:
Jessica_Ren(Yan Jin Ren) wrote:From my point of view, multitask are not efficient and effective because we can not fully concentrate on more than one task at the same time and it may cause us to make more errors. Dealing with multiple things will also make us drained and feel a lot of pressure. On the other hand, it will be dangerous in some situation with multitasking. For example, when you are driving, if you not focus on the road, you may lose your life.
So if we want to improve the quality of our work, feel less stress, become more efficient and have more energy at the end of the day, we should make good schedule and not multitask.
Actually, i am quite agree with you.
Now adays, it is more and more difficult for a person to focus on one task, the reason is that there are too many information that disturb us to focus on. My suggestion for out daily work is that, at the beginning of our job, we should make a plan first, try to rank them by importance and do them one by one, try to concentrate on one task at one time.

Our generation is taking great challenge from fast pace of life and massive amount of information. Then we have to know clearly what we really need. Based on that, we set the sequence for our daily life and daily jobs, then it will be helpful for us to concentrate on one by one.

Wu Shujun(Helena Wu)

Posts : 6
Join date : 2014-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Wu Shujun(Helena Wu) on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 am

Bonnie CHEN(Chen Bo) wrote:So there's no multi-tasking, it's only about time management. We only can address problems one by one and only focus and concentrate one subject one time. It makes sense when you think about it profoundly. If you do multi-tasks, you are easily get distracted and definitely your performance cannot be good

I think Ms Bonnie exactly got to the point. We have discussed a lot about the harmfulness of multi-taking,but the fact of the matter is related to time management. To make daily work plan to know the sequence, to set one special period in a day for concentrating on important and urgent tasks, to handle easy jobs in the afternoon, all can help us to avoid multi-tasking. Different people may have different habit on handling different tasks, but you have to set your own rule of life and working.

Wu Shujun(Helena Wu)

Posts : 6
Join date : 2014-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Zhang Yingying - Laurel on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:45 am

Wu Shujun(Helena Wu) wrote:
Bonnie CHEN(Chen Bo) wrote:So there's no multi-tasking, it's only about time management. We only can address problems one by one and only focus and concentrate one subject one time. It makes sense when you think about it profoundly. If you do multi-tasks, you are easily get distracted and definitely your performance cannot be good

I think Ms Bonnie exactly got to the point. We have discussed a lot about the harmfulness of multi-taking,but the fact of the matter is related to time management. To make daily work plan to know the sequence, to set one special period in a day for concentrating on important and urgent tasks, to handle easy jobs in the afternoon, all can help us to avoid multi-tasking. Different people may have different habit on handling different tasks, but you have to set your own rule of life and working.

Totally agree with both of you.
Professor Ali has alerted us with the harm that multi-tasking will do to our brains and also given us a good tip which is prioritize! If you can synthesize the nature of the tasks and prioritize them by emergency and importance, we will gradually get rid of the old habit and learn how to focus. Remember when you open your outlook, reply to your boss first.Smile

Zhang Yingying - Laurel

Posts : 6
Join date : 2014-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by alar on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:32 am

Multitasking can increase our rate of making mistakes. We should focus one thing at one time.

alar

Posts : 7
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by alar on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:36 am

Joanna(Zhang Xiaojing) wrote:It is not the first time we heard this that multitask lows down your performance. We design the production line with the operators repeating the same motion but not in less than 20 seconds. We don’t allow our children to watch TV the same time as eating. Law doesn’t allow drivers to speak on the phone when driving. A lot of evidence have shown us multitask is ineligible.
But to improve the productivity or efficiency, some actions should be taken anyhow:
1. We have all kinds of tasks every day, divide them with the priority like this:
Important, less important, emergency, less emergency.
Write down what you are going to deal with every morning, separate them with:
First, complete the important and emergency tasks;
Second, complete the important and less emergency tasks;
Third, complete the less important but emergency tasks;
Fourth, complete the less important and less emergency tasks.
2. 5S is also a good tool for you to cope with everyday tasks, when you put everything at the right place, you don’t even need to think about it to get it. Tidy up your desks every day after work; take out your notebook every morning to write down today’s work. Open and completed tasks folder to separate files. You will feel inspired when you complete every task on your notebook, the same time you can figure out the time you spent on each task, find a better way to improve;
3. Once you start a task, try your best to complete at one time, the disturb will cost you more time and more attention on the same thing that doesn’t create value. So anytime somebody is coming to you to stop you, be polite to tell them to wait for a moment;
However even though we can find all the ways to improve efficiency without doing multitasks; we still have too much work which couldn’t be completed in the work time. But we have to remember, we would rather do overtime work, not do multitasks. You think you have improved your efficiency; in fact you are damaging your brain and your health.
I could not agree any more. The suggestions are very perfect.

alar

Posts : 7
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Tang Mi-Gabriella on Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Here I have a question.
According to the result on multitasking, it will make it difficult to be concentrated, organized, and paid attention to detail, and will lower one’s IQ and EQ, even may damage one’s brain.
I had ever studied that Multilanguage will promote one’s IQ, especially for children which even reorganize their structure of brains to a brighter ones.
However, for my opinion, in Multilanguage environment, the transfer between different languages also interrupt the integrate flow of the task. Both the two “multi” will break the thought. However, the effects on people are not the same.
What are the differences between the two “multi”? Can we find some ways to solve the results which multitasking brings to the people though the study on Multilanguage?

Tang Mi-Gabriella

Posts : 1
Join date : 2014-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Chen, Huan (Helen) on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:54 am

I am about to deliver my year-end performance review with my manager, I consider that 'ability to handle multiple tasks at same time' as one of my strengths before. This is really an interesting perspective to force me re-look at my work habits. I took one morning to sort pending mails by 'subject' and only focus on one topic before I get it done. That actually helps me to keep the clear mind and efficient arrangement compared with jumping from task A to task B. 

I do think this will help me to improve the work efficiency and quality! appreciate it!

Chen, Huan (Helen)

Posts : 5
Join date : 2014-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Zhang Yingying - Laurel on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:40 am

Tang Mi-Gabriella wrote:Here I have a question.
According to the result on multitasking, it will make it difficult to be concentrated, organized, and paid attention to detail, and will lower one’s IQ and EQ, even may damage one’s brain.
I had ever studied that Multilanguage will promote one’s IQ, especially for children which even reorganize their structure of brains to a brighter ones.
However, for my opinion, in Multilanguage environment, the transfer between different languages also interrupt the integrate flow of the task. Both the two “multi” will break the thought. However, the effects on people are not the same.
What are the differences between the two “multi”? Can we find some ways to solve the results which multitasking brings to the people though the  study on Multilanguage?

I think it is a quite good question and we can analyze the two "Multis" in different perspectives. When it comes to Multi-language, usually the children can learn different languages easily and quickly than our adults. The most important reason for it is that the brain memory is at its initial stage that few stuff was in it. But when it comes to Multi-tasking, usually our adults can barely concentrate on each tasks so that we need to prioritize and avoid being distracted by other trivial things. Also the brain memory of us is so full and slow just like the CPU when it is approaching its limited volume. So we need to refresh and synthesize our brains or frequently use it to expand its volumes in order to make it handle both multi-language and mul-tasking efficiently.

Zhang Yingying - Laurel

Posts : 6
Join date : 2014-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Cynthia (Sui Xin) on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:34 am

The general evaluation on social, people can do multiple things at the same time is considered to be very talented, even someone would think that multiple works is a very good training for the brain. But actually this way of thinking is absolutely not desirable, do different things at the same time for a long time can cause brain damage.

Habitual multiple tasks, can let the brain is in a state of euphoria, make it difficult to concentrate. People will gradually lose ability to stay focused.

Tasks at the same time make mental fatigue, equivalent to easier to consume mental, this kind of behavior and early cognitive ability for a long time have inseparable relationship between reduced.

Cynthia (Sui Xin)

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Ethan-wangyanshen on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:19 am

I used to read an interesting article about"obsessive compulsive disorder" (OCD) which was written by a foreign psychologist. He believed that there were no successful multitaskers in the world or OCD would be harmless to people and could be cured easily. Since human brain cannnot focus on many different things at the same time, when a compulsive idea emerges, the brain has to switch automatically from the current channel to the compulsive channel and it fails to switch back in time. So the brain's original schedule is disrupted. It is impossible to broadcast two shows in one channel simultaneously. I believe that report brings us the same powerful information: we, human, are born to be non-multitaskers and if we insist multitasking, our brain will not only be exhausted but also be destroyed soonner or later.

Ethan-wangyanshen

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-10-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Leo Yao on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 am

People are willing to have the magic power of multitasking, or in Chinese, we say battle between left and right, which is only in the fiction. The study already prove it. what i want to add is that, in some circumstance, if one task is enough simple, there is still possibility to have multitasking, just with low quality, for example, watching TV when running on the running machine.
The key point is brain utility, and how you define the "task".

Leo Yao

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Summer (Wensi) Huang on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:40 pm

I've been struggling to fight with the habit of so-called 'multi-tasking', which is such a rhetorical word to disguise the unfocused mind. I‘ve been handling different tasks at the same time since high school- while working on the homework I was listening to music almost every night. It was actually, although I hate to admit, a subconscious way to get away from the serious work.

Even till now, I am still hiding my impatience with the excuse that I am 'multi-tasking' and just to find that ultimately all those tasks just get half-done. It is high time that I reflect on my pattern of mind-controlling..wait, I need to reply a email first..back now, where are we then? affraid

Summer (Wensi) Huang

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-10-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Stella_Huang( Huang Jing) on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:38 am

In case of ‘Multitasking’:
The passage mainly shows the negative sides of multitasking including decrease the efficiency and quality of work and lower one's IQ & EQ which are very important in people's daily life and career. I do agree with the viewpoints. When doing Multitasks, your brain need to switch from one thing to another at the same time. Just like the test we did during the class that switch from number to character at the same time cost much more time than focusing on one thing. This will lower efficiency and bring cost. So I think the multitasking should not become a customary behavior. Normally, multitask will add existing difficulties you have with concentration, organization, and attention to detail. This damages brain. But I think sometimes, for those tasks which could be easily handled, such as just a to-be-checked tasks could be done by multitasking. So from my point of view, before you do the multitasks, the first thing is to judge the tasks from difficulty, and then to decide multitasking or not.
From another interesting point of view, sometimes, seems that people can also do 'multitasks' properly. For example, I was always fascinated by the acrobats at the circus, they can do multitasks at the same time, like dancing while rolling the ball. Of course they went through a long-time training. And people usually listen to music while having a meal...
So does it mean people always can do multitasks well for those tasks they are familiar with ? No, because I find that this is not a kind of real multitasking, but a background tasking, The difference between multitask and background task is whether you need to switch thinking behaviour between the tasks, and obviously the latter one does not need this switch. Just as you don’t need to think while listening to music…

Stella_Huang( Huang Jing)

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-10-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Rivaliang on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:01 am

By Liang Yan
Frankly speaking, before taking the class of Professor Ali, I had thought multitasking was good, and it was an exceptional skill. Have you ever tried to draw a circle with one hand, and draw a square with the other hand at the same time? I practiced many times in my childhood, but never succeeded. Actually, the fact is that the brain can only focus on one thing at a time. It appears that you can do one more things at the same time just because your brain switches from one task quickly to another, and such frequent switches are harmful. Multitasking reduces your efficiency and performance, lowers your IQ and EQ, and even worse, damages your brain.
Now I understand why people usually say “a woman would become stupid within the first three years since she has a baby”. New Moms are frequently drawn from their ordinary works to their babies, and at night they have to wake up several times to feed babies, or exchange diapers. Today, the damage of multitasking is beyond the scope of young mums, and it becomes a common problem in the information era. People are overwhelmed by all kinds of information from different Medias, and they gradually lose the ability to organize and filter these information. What’s worse, most of us do not notice the damage.
Then how to cope with this problem? Resist the temptation to do more than one thing at the same time. It is easy to say than doing. I have checked my mobile phone twice while writing this passage. Remind yourself all the time! Have a good sleep and do more physical exercises maybe help us to recover from brain damage. More efforts need to be made to protect children from multitasking and limit their access to mobile, PC and TV.

Rivaliang

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Jimmywang(Wang Jiming) on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:45 pm

before I read this article, i have already tried and do a lot of this stupid thing, i mean do two or more different things at same time, well most of the time i feel so tried after i got out of the work, when i type a long message during the meeting, i cannot focus on both. that's true. but the good thing is i won't going to do two different things at the same time. the conclusion for myself to learn the time management, i think if i plan well, based on which is the most important thing, urgent thing need to be finish, i write down 1,2,3... then i will start to do it one by one.

Jimmywang(Wang Jiming)

Posts : 6
Join date : 2014-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Li Bin_ Jack Li on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:57 pm

This research is really really really impress me. In the past time, sometimes multistasking became my one target, I think if I can do two or three tasks at one time ,take multistask which will be helpful for my efficiency and performance, howerver actual situation the concentration,organziation became lower and lower, is worse at switching one task to aonther task, I didnot know why , so now it is clear.. Fantasitc learning.

Li Bin_ Jack Li

Posts : 5
Join date : 2014-10-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Tu Yuan on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:49 am

Very interesting topic which trigger my thinking about my working habits to deal with those multiple tasks. And how to balance the working efficiency and concentration only on one task especially under high pressure of dealing with firefighting things at the same time is actually a dilemma. The passage indicated the multitasking do have negative impact on our IQ, EQ and also lower down work efficiency and performance, we all know that it is ideal to 100% focus on what we do and deliver the performance results than expected, but the fact cannot always be like that.

Tu Yuan

Posts : 5
Join date : 2014-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Nancyzheng on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:59 am

We always know that if we do multitasking we could make mistakes but we cannot stop doing or trying to do multitasking all the time. I think there are reasons for it.
First of all, we live in a society with high pace. We are constantly required to finish several jobs as soon as possible. The urge to finish your jobs sooner make us what to try faster ways thus we try multitasking.
Second, the main reason is about our time management. If we have several jobs to finish, what could we do to finish them as soon as possible? Multitasking is absolutely not a choice. In my opinion, we have to list up the priorities before we do our jobs. Figure out what is the most urgent and important thing and do it first. Then finish other jobs one by one. Only in this way can we perform best.

Nancyzheng

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum