multitasking

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: multitasking

Post by CHANG Yan, Carol on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Multitasking damages brain and career, physically maybe, but i am not sure, multitasking definitely for sure it brings high effeciency according to my personal experiences.

In nowadays, my feeling is not any individual working or living in a single task situation, everyone has mutiple roles in this society, everyone is handling muti-tasks at the same moment, sometimes even you are doing one thing on left hand meanwhile the other thing on right hand, as well as thinking about other things in your brain at the same time (like the current my doing...)

Try to understand this new study result, I would say yes, sometimes that you cannot focus on one single thing really cannot take you to a deeper level of it, more innovative thoughts may not come out if you are not that dive into...

CHANG Yan, Carol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chen Yujia on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:35 pm

This article brings the interesting concept that multitaking is not only problematic, but it may reduce the performance and damage the brain. However, once we deeply believed that multitasking boosts our performance. From my perpective, multitasking has involved in using electronic devices, like iphone, ipad, etc. These types of distractions are becoming more and more a part of daily life, thus we have more trouble in filtering out irrelevant information from the environment. So we'd better switch off our iphone or set to flight mode when we are doing some important, as even not clear how damage multitasking will do on our brain, it do have kind of negative effects.

Chen Yujia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zou Fuyong on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:26 am

I think the term multi-tasking is a euphemism, a way to put a positive spin on learning to tolerate a work-style of constant interruption. No one would choose to be jerked randomly off task again and again until you have half a dozen things you’re trying to get done, all at the same time.
Multitasking is not a skill to be dismissed or avoided or feared. It is the people who can do many things at once who are the most valuable in a chaotic situation, especially when time is important or much is at stake.

Zou Fuyong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jing Huang on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:54 am

I used to watch TV, reading book or making phone calls while I was having meal. I thought it saved me a lot of time, but it turned out to be totally wrong. It not only reduced my efficiency, but also lowered my IQ! I was surprised at the study results!

As Professor Ali said, we need to learn how to concentrate. That's really helpful!

Jing Huang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zou Fuyong on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:29 am

Thinking that more can be done by tackling different tasks simultaneously is somewhat of a misconception. Technically, tasks can only be done one at a time, so loss of efficiency comes from the switch time between tasks.
Certain positions are more prone to carry out multitasking, as their work requires them to be on top of many things at once. It's understandable that a restaurant manager must overlook the kitchen process, supervise waiters to make sure they get their orders right, guarantee that there will always be enough change in the cash register, and that he won't be short on staff for the early evening rush.
Although they are responsible for delegating some work, some of these tasks are important enough to be multitasked, rather than get handed down to subordinates.
In a word as my opinion, if you need to multitask, then do so with non-urgent tasks.

Zou Fuyong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renee CAO Lei on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:51 pm

I was shocked when Professor Ali provided the topic:”Multitasking damages brain and career.” I believe most people thought we always deal with many things at the same time in nowadays, it’s our normal life, we considered multitasking as our strength in our working space. So it’s really a good time to rethink how to make us more smart and efficient.

“less is more”, as professor Ali said, it’s a good way to look at our life and start to reduce something we are living with. First, I have packed cloths and shoes I will never use again to throw out to make me feel clean and simple. Second, I would like to categorize my email inbox and reduce the magazine subscriptions as I never read it anyway. And last is the newsfeed, we always log in weichat, QQ, and Skpye at same time and get most of useless information, so I would like to turn my wireless off at least 2 hours to make me more focus on reading or kids.

Let’s from small start.

Renee CAO Lei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by XU Iris (Shanshan) on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Helen Xujing wrote:I used to be very proud of multi-tasking. The new Ipad launched weeks ago has a new feature of multi-task APP on the same desktop. It seems that the whole is innovated by multi-task. However I somehow feel so stressed while doing several tasks at the same time. I enjoy baking at my spare time but I feel so exhausted while baking a cake and making a bread at the same time. The efficiency seems to be improved because you finish two things at the same time. But if I really pursue for high efficiency, why should I bother baking by myself. I'd rather go bakery to buy some well-made food, which is faster, cheaper and easier.
So it's really the time to think about why I push myself to be a multi-tasker instead of specializing in one particular task and enjoying the whole process.

Me too. Multi-tasking is well encouraged by multi-national company so I always believe this is a special advantage I have. After read this article weeks ago, I decided to be more focus on a single task. When I played multi-tasking before, I was fully occupied but the outcome wasn't really pretty. This time, I do feel concentration improves my work efficiency!

XU Iris (Shanshan)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yonglei Xu on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:28 pm

In real life,you always can met multitask and dealing with multitask is also a special skill which can help you effectively. We do not suggest to do different things in the same time because efficiency may be low,you can try do it by priority.But look at your life,when you work but you also should study in the school, actually you are doing the multitask in this long time and good balance and skill is important.

Yonglei Xu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by qncheng on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:02 pm

As professor Ali said today, our brains are only good at handling one thing at one time. The brain works when the neuron connected, send and receive signal. When do multitasking, neurons may cross the signals so we will make a mistake easily or just reduce our efficiency. One example was that when you walking along the road while keeping your eye on the cellphone, you are most likely to ignore the dangerous. A passing vehicle or people will hit you.
If you want to do things good, just focus.

qncheng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by neoli on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:08 pm

Sometimes in my work, I may be forced to work in multitasking, my headphone are calling in a meeting, and I may deal with some of the email, and someone just call my mobile phone, and some guys will call me on Lync. I find in the kind of situation, most of the tasks can't be deal with well. It hurts your thinking.

neoli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeman Yu on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:15 am

Multitasking is very common during daily work for me. It's time-killing but hart to change, because tasks always come rogether. So we should seperate these tasks as time and give every task some special time. Only do one job at one time!

Freeman Yu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyWu on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:57 am

Before, i think multitasking is of the working skills we should be equipped with in such a competitive market. U need to transfer between two tasks simultaneously because you have a time limitation. However, when i hear from Pro Ali that multitaking actually deceases our efficiency, i start to think about it again. Is it really good to do that, can we really so two different things at the same time with a high-quality outcoming? Of course, we can be trained to achieve that, but mostly of us can't as we are normal guys. "Not multitasking, but focus on one thing each time".
I'll try to change the way i work now. Give it a comparison based on my own experience first Smile

JennyWu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edward.JI on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:22 am

After the CBI class, I know how the brain works. The brain needs to comsume the energe to generate some ideas. And moreover, multitasking means less concentration and more choas. It decreases the effiency of working and creating, and it definitely takes the negative effect on the thinking flow. So I will train myself to avoid multitasking in the future work.

Edward.JI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marvin5 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:33 pm

During daily work, we always face multitask, which I really don't like, not only slow down the efficiency, but also leads a risk to lose something, I prefer the only way to limit it negative affects is time management and spending a extra time to list schedule everyday.

marvin5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by orangeli on Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:26 am

It shock me of hearing on "multitask kills your mind", since I was always educated and expected to be a multitasker. How about you guys in the workplace? Do you ever expected by the supervisor to be multitaskers?

orangeli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by orangeli on Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:41 am

orangeli wrote:It shock me of hearing on "multitask kills your mind", since I was always educated and expected to be a multitasker. How about you guys in the workplace? Do you ever expected by the supervisor to be multitaskers?

But I cannot be agree more with the idea that multitask results in trouble of filtering out irrelevant information. What I am trying to do now is leave the moblie away from me when I am focusing on jobs or reading. Distractions from time to time pumping-out wechat and phone calls, will drag you out of concentrated thinking, no matter you wish or not. And I also reject the distractions from my child as well. I will say to her, sorry honey, mama is working at the moment, would you play with yourself and I will come to you in about 20 munites.

orangeli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:18 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top