MBA@Fudan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Articles for the first class

+52
Feng Yanting
HE Xiaoting
neoli
Huang Chunlei
ZHU Yu
Tang Yingying
qncheng
Summer(Zuo Congcong)
yangyupeng
tangney
Fan Lele(Laeticia)
amandazheng
Yonglei Xu
Lucy Gong (Yulu Gong)
Renee CAO Lei
Cara (Zhuang Jing)
karen_zy
Zou Fuyong
JennyWu
Freeman Yu
XU Iris (Shanshan)
ZHANG Ji
elaine.dong
Wayne Yang
SUN Yeqing
nancysdm
Fiona Liu
jamiezhu
Richard Mok
Chen Yujia
yfzhou83
Martin Ma - Ma Jinhui
Edward.JI
Lujinyuan
黄如艺
LI Yingxin
Helen Xujing
JasmineWang王蔚宁
Sunny(王晶)-15GA
wuyingqiang
ZhangWenwen
wenkaigu
panping
Shirley Zheng
CHANG Yan, Carol
TANG Jianzhong
zhuyankarl
Chen Jiating
YANG Jing
Minqiang Tim WU
damage840225
Admin
56 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Articles for the first class - Page 3 Empty Re: Articles for the first class

Post by Renee CAO Lei Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:25 pm

When Professor Ali talking about the "Monkey Mind" and daydreaming each class, I feel it's the same way in practicing Yoga.

I hope to share with you the following sentences when I saw it in my Yoga class.

What is Yoga? Yoga is not a technology, but a way of life. Everyone can practice Yoga which is the law of life. Yoga practitioner will not only get the health in physically but also in psychologically, especially get the development of instinct. The final purpose of Yoga is self controlling and self realization. Yoga is not difficult, as long as you learn to control your breathing, thinking and self control.

Renee CAO Lei

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Gong (Yulu Gong) Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm

After reading this article and hearing about Professor Ali talking about the "Monkey Mind", I now can realize that monkey mind impede my working progress due to so-called multi-tasking. This reminds me to focus and learn to control my thoughts.

Lucy Gong (Yulu Gong)

Back to top Go down

Post by Yonglei Xu Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:45 pm

A teacher in middle school shared his experience about controlling the monkey mind and just sat there for nothing to relax his brain.I tried many times and a long time later it become better.This is a type of meditation which can help us relax and improve the sleeping.When tired,Listening a music and just siting there to control the monkey mind is really a enjoying thing.

Yonglei Xu

Back to top Go down

Post by elaine.dong Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Wayne Yang wrote:The article “Enter the Monkey”pointed out the issue of monkey mind most people might encounter in the meditation. Since the meditation on a regular basis in our daily life is a good practice for our brain, it seems indispensable to learn how to work with monkey mind during the meditation to help us to focus on the present instead of being distracted.

The solution given by the author of this article is taming and training the monkey mind. In light of my understanding, it does not refer to suppress the monkey mind in an oversimplified and crude way, but to take advantage of the monkey mind by its natural tendencies and try to sychronize mind with body, which could not only be applied to meditation, but various daily occasions as well.

As a matter of fact, it might be easy to write down what you have learned from this article, but it is far more difficult to develop it as a habit in our daily life. However, it is always said that practice makes perfect.Thus, let us have a try and make it happen from now on, shall we? As for me, I will start from writing this article review.

It’s really hard for us to develop or get used to a new habit. Being in a company with fast-pace, I find that I am always too busy that I have to do many multitasks. But now I have realized that multitask could damage the efficiency. When you were thinking about one problem, other questions might jump into your mind, just because that you were doing everything in the same time! And the result of this for me is that when I am with nothing to do, my brain automatically starts to think about those work-related problems. Even in my dreams, I was making PPTs and calculating numbers! It’s really the right time for me to start meditation, try to clear out the “monkey mind”, and to learn how to “focus”.

elaine.dong

Back to top Go down

Post by amandazheng Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:51 pm

The two articles told us it is more difficult than you think to get along with your mind without any other mess. It is really common that when you are in the middle of thinking something, the idea that I have not done my laundry yet or where I should have my dinner jumped out to my mind. The article defined this was a monkey mind which can distracted you from the previous thinking. In the first class, Prof. ali taught us to do meditation and try to taming the monkey mind. It is useful for our mind and help us pay full attention to the current situation. I used to read a book to learn meditation called zen's mind, beginner's mind which was recommended by Jobs. I did not know why people would like to practice meditation until I read the article about monkey mind. When you can control your mind and concentrate at the current time, from time to time, you will have much control of your body and the wisdom will show up which may also inspire the creativity.
The other article is quite interesting that the result showed that most men and 1/3 women did not want to get along with their own thoughts while being alone. After the monkey mind attacking in years, it may be difficult to mind wandering for them.

amandazheng

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan Lele(Laeticia) Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:10 am

The two passages are truly thought provoking. The first article presented a shocking study, that people would prefer negative stimulations to “boredom”, and the second article explained why and how to train the monkey brain. Not able to “sit in”, I know it as a fact, but it’s very interesting to know why. I am glad that the class and the articles bring out the awareness of the existence of the monkey brain. Acknowledgement of the monkey brain existence is a very important step before practices to taming it. Very Happy

Fan Lele(Laeticia)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayne Yang Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:10 am

The study by Timothy Wilson published in “Science” revealed a shocking factor that most of people felt strange to being alone with their own thoughts. Besides, it also indirectly demonstrated that being focused became more difficult for people in modern society due to so many distractions nowadays such as smart phone, various APP and etc.
According to Jonathan Smallwood, the professor from University of York, the ability to let the mind wander has been linked to great working memory and increased creativity. Consequently, to master the skill of meditation with focus seems indispensable to activate our minds with creativity.
It might be a difficult for us the change our daily habit of using smart phone which definitely brought a lot conveniences, but trying to get rid of the negative impact from these technology daily appliances seems possible, just as Wilson said, “ But having so many available keeps us from learning how to disengage.”

Wayne Yang

Back to top Go down

Post by tangney Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:29 am

Maybe concentrating on the special thing is challenge for most people, unless the person trained by system method. Of cause,we need focus on the thing to complete well, but monkey mind will break down your mind,which is neutral,we can take advantage of the monkey mind not disrupt it.

tangney

Back to top Go down

Post by yangyupeng Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:42 pm

I had experienced the "Monkey Mind' in my work. In that time i find it is hard to foucus on one things, although i sit on the desk, the mind is far away about massive things. It is caused by multi-tasking when one thing is going and ohter things are in thought. The monkey mind delaythe progress of work. Later, I tried to countrol my minds and focus on only one thing.Some exercise can help to control mokkey mind as well such as Yoga.

yangyupeng

Back to top Go down

Post by Minqiang Tim WU Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:54 pm

elaine.dong wrote:
Wayne Yang wrote:The article “Enter the Monkey”pointed out the issue of monkey mind most people might encounter in the meditation. Since the meditation on a regular basis in our daily life is a good practice for our brain, it seems indispensable to learn how to work with monkey mind during the meditation to help us to focus on the present instead of being distracted.

The solution given by the author of this article is taming and training the monkey mind. In light of my understanding, it does not refer to suppress the monkey mind in an oversimplified and crude way, but to take advantage of the monkey mind by its natural tendencies and try to sychronize mind with body, which could not only be applied to meditation, but various daily occasions as well.  

As a matter of fact, it might be easy to write down what you have learned from this article, but it is far more difficult to develop it as a habit in our daily life. However, it is always said that practice makes perfect.Thus, let us have a try and make it happen from now on, shall we?  As for me, I will start from  writing this article review.

It’s really hard for us to develop or get used to a new habit. Being in a company with fast-pace, I find that I am always too busy that I have to do many multitasks. But now I have realized that multitask could damage the efficiency. When you were thinking about one problem, other questions might jump into your mind, just because that you were doing everything in the same time! And the result of this for me is that when I am with nothing to do, my brain automatically starts to think about those work-related problems. Even in my dreams, I was making PPTs and calculating numbers! It’s really the right time for me to start meditation, try to clear out the “monkey mind”, and to learn how to “focus”.

In some condition, or some circumstances, the training in some company will said if you have higher position, you will be more multi-tasking. For example, if you are the low level employee, you only need to focus on your own tasks, and may not need to be multi-tasking. While if you are a GM or CEO, the large number of incoming questions/problems/decision require you to handle in almost same time. How could you survive? Training your brain! Concentrate on something when you are focusing on it. Look out your monkey mind!

Minqiang Tim WU

Back to top Go down

Post by yangyupeng Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:06 pm

It is a little surprise that mind wandering can increase creativity. It means that we should not need to control our "monkey mind" if we hope to do some creative.However, if daily work is under going, we'd better keep mind in body.

yangyupeng

Back to top Go down

Post by Summer(Zuo Congcong) Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:17 pm

Why are we trying to find the shock rather than to be alone without nothing to do ? Because without kinds of exercise such as meditation, our brain is always under control of the "Monkey". It can't be alone , it always need some "shocks"from the outside. It's a vicious circle . That's why today when we have this awareness, we try do do meditation, try to do yoga, try to listen to jazz to train our brain from monkey brain. It's difficult to change your habits, while this change about the use of your brain, it's really worthy.

Summer(Zuo Congcong)

Back to top Go down

Post by ZHANG Ji Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Many people can not make themselves get down to do some thing. I can understand. “You might find that you are unable to “just sit” because your monkey mind wants to dosomething.  It wants to interpret your experience, compare it to other experiences, and then it wants to interpret those other experiences, too."I think we still have a try.
As we saw in the example of the scratchy feeling that leads to condemnation of the roommate, conceptual thinking can be triggered by sensations and emotions.  Conceptual thinking can also trigger sensations and emotions.”

ZHANG Ji

Back to top Go down

Post by damage840225 Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:47 pm

For CBI class, it should be full of stress and attention needed as expected, but without the bothering of electronic device, the concentration made you feel relaxed and you can focus your attention on the topics in classroom, the monkey brain was well suppressed. In the daily life, we compulsorily check our phone or email, interrupt our continuous focus on what we are doing, and make the time into fraction, using this method(without phone in certain period of time) will well train your brain with focus. The monkey inside our mind is also like the animal we need to domesticate, without doing that, it will grow rigorously.

damage840225

Back to top Go down

Post by qncheng Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Comments on article "Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts"
The first glance at the title, I smiled, it seems funny. When I finish the article, it is really provoking. That remind me what the Bible tells me. I would like to share with you. The God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone.I will make a helper fit for him." Fantastic, right. We are created not for alone. God makes our other half to complete us. We can share our ideas, opinions and feeling with the other half. As we are created by God at his will, we will feel uneasy when we alone because that violate the nature that God put in us.

qncheng

Back to top Go down

Post by qncheng Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:32 pm

Comments on article "Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts"
The first glance at the title, I smiled, it seems funny. When I finish the article, it is really provoking. That remind me what the Bible tells me. I would like to share with you. The God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone.I will make a helper fit for him." Fantastic, right. We are created not for alone. God makes our other half to complete us. We can share our ideas, opinions and feeling with the other half. As we are created by God at his will, we will feel uneasy when we alone because that violate the nature that God put in us.

qncheng

Back to top Go down

Post by Tang Yingying Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Conceptual thinking not only triggers sensations and emotions, but also deals in interpretations and stories. So no matter how bad the time you've experienced before, just let it be. You can choose not to think about the bad memories to avoid any painfulness feelings, painfulness is just the illusion incurred by your conceptual thinking, only happiness can save our life. Just live in the living present, enjoy every real moment of your current life.

Tang Yingying

Back to top Go down

Post by qncheng Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:46 pm

The monkey brain is a new concept for me but not a new experience for me. When I am trying to concentrate, other things keep interrupting just like monkeys. Today Professor Ali told us: the simple instinct is quick while the real thinking is quite slow. So that's why monkey keep jumping put to annoy me. It is just from the instinct and so easy to do it.

qncheng

Back to top Go down

Post by ZHU Yu Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:48 pm

When we are sitting, we are unable to just sit because our minds goes elsewhere and the monkey mind wants to do something. The monkey mind is a natural component of our own mind, so we could not just kill it. If we do so, the monkey will try to bite us and reappear after meditation. So we should accept it. First, we tame the monkey mind to calm it down. Then, we train the monkey mind to transform it into wisdom. According to this instruction, we will bring awareness and sensations back to our body and feel peaceful.

ZHU Yu

Back to top Go down

Post by Huang Chunlei Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:49 pm

I always think and often can not concentrate for a long time. Someone taught me a way that stand still with two feet together for few minutes on your feet together, then relax. It was effective, but I did not insist on ,now, in the meeting , class, the monkey brain appears often. We enjoyed meditation with Ali in class to relax .It’s a very good experience, though I still can't control for the monkey brain. I will try my best.

Huang Chunlei

Back to top Go down

Post by LI Yingxin Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Some additional thoughts on the multi-node of our brain. It's somewhat true that multi-tasking will ruin our brains and interrupt normal thinking and reasoning. On the other side, it could be one of the ways to overcome the "Monkey Brain" that shifting thoughts, ideas, day dreaming from one to the other. The circle of multi-tasking with the intentional ranking of importance based on the recognition of tasks sometimes can restrain the floating mind without any directions or reasoning. Thus the problem is not how to "catch" the monkey brain but restrain it purposely with training of circle of multi-tasking, not at the same time but with the task shift in order.

LI Yingxin wrote:It's quite hard to get rid of "Monkey Brain" but we can find ways to control it via exercises.Understood it's a natural reaction of neural stimulation based on your experience, mediation on regular time under certain environment could help focus on something or nothing. One way might be to focus on inner voice or totem throughout the mediation and find connections on the scene transfer to pull ourselves out of the disordered Daydreaming. Practice and practice give the hindsight how to "catch" the monkey in our brains.

LI Yingxin

Back to top Go down

Post by ZHU Yu Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:02 pm

The second article tells us that being able to disengage mentally is an important attribute which linking to greater working memory and increased creativity. But it is not so easy that many people rather shock themselves to rid of boredom than just be alone with their thoughts. Social media has little impact on the ability of daydreaming. But once so many digital devices are available, we will have no mood to learn how to disengage and wander in mind.

ZHU Yu

Back to top Go down

Post by neoli Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Sometimes monkey brain could bring you some creative idea, so how to make a balance of control and use monkey brain is very important.

neoli

Back to top Go down

Post by HE Xiaoting Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:10 pm

It's my first time to know about the "Monkey Minds" theory, but I realized that "Monkey Minds" jumped up every day especially when I was doing something with no interest. Though I’m quite agree that more creative ideas might arise when our mind is wandering, "Monkey Minds" is an enemy of us to stay focus and slow down the efficiency. This article provided a good meditation instruction that bring your awareness back to your body when you realize that you are no longer just sitting. I’ve practiced this several times when listening to JAZZ in Ali’s class and I found it really helps to tame the monkey mind.

HE Xiaoting

Back to top Go down

Post by Feng Yanting Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:43 pm

Like many other classmates, I used to think money brain is a resource of creative ideas. But now the articles tell me not. But we have been accustomed with multi-tasking. It is hard to get rid of the bad habits. Actually I am doing mult-tasking now...I think yoga is a good way to practice to control the money minds. And as a female, I agree with the opinion that females tend to be conservative.

Feng Yanting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next