MBA@Fudan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016-Monkey mind

+46
Carey_Chu
marie.tung
Happy Alma
狂奔的蜗牛
nancy70800
ellenlu
Luke HE
baoheng2018
Limengmeng
Jerry SONG
tangdonghua
lynn0620
Wu Wei
baiyun
Shen-ling
lance_li
GUO SHU001
ydgu
lindaxie
ViviZha
caspermh
lisanhao1112@hotmail.com
cheng.dai
wqinsh
irisgogogo
Nathan Ni
miaoweichao
Cui Jing
Emma Xu
Victor Chung
Ji.wei
camille.chalons
amiechen
rocky_xu
superkellyzhou
HM-Mary SONG
popigao
Daisy_Lujing Wang
dianexiadi
hku_fudan_cloud
laurapeiqian
EvanWang2016
Luisa_Xu
lizzy_luyan
lawrence wang
Admin
50 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2016-Monkey mind Empty 2016-Monkey mind

Post by Admin Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:04 am

Hello, everyone! Welcom to the blog discussion part of Creativity and Business Innovation class. Please open the following links, read the two articles and share your analytical and innovative opinion.

https://badlamaguide.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/enter-the-monkey/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/07/03/most-men-would-rather-shock-themselves-than-be-alone-with-their-thoughts/

Thanks! .

Admin
Admin

https://fudan-mba.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

2016-Monkey mind Empty Re: 2016-Monkey mind

Post by lawrence wang Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:12 am

I agree to the comment of "synchronizing mind and body" as it is a symbol of self-engagement.

lawrence wang

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzy_luyan Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 am

My supervisor used to tell me that I should take 80% of my time on strategic thinking, while 20% of my time on operation. Well kind of exaggeration but this inspcription does help me to re-think about how should I work. Mindset is very important, and the way to shape a mindset is rather difficult. Our mind is so easily got disrupted or distracted nowadays. How often you check your phone to see if there’s new comment on your moment or on your facebook? When did you last time finished a book instead of a short article shared by your friends? When did you last time listen to your own heart speaking? With those noisy fragment of information how can we see the essense of things and how can we arose our innate creativity?

lizzy_luyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa_Xu Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Most people don't like being left alone with their thoughts, including myself. Most time we'll be affected by surroundings. Learn
to work with momkey mind, don't try to kill it, let it be your wisdom. Medication is a good way to synchronize your mind and body. For me, I think the first step is taming the monkey mind.

Luisa_Xu

Back to top Go down

Post by EvanWang2016 Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:04 pm

The two articles indicate the same issue that it is difficult for people to concentrate nowadays as there are chaos from both intrinsic and external resources. These chaos prevent people from getting down to useful or productive thinking. Not everyone can harness mind and thought easily. But by reading the article, I expect that there is a way or a few ways that we can learn in the class to get focused and get rid of the chaos. The ability to concentrate is the asset that can lead us to creative thinking.

EvanWang2016

Back to top Go down

2016-Monkey mind Empty creativity and distraction

Post by laurapeiqian Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:23 pm

With the trend of information explosion, people nowadays find it more and more difficult to concentrate not to say meditation or creative thinking. I just want to know why people in old times could listen to classical music with patience while current young people can't even do one thing at a time. I myself also feel that living with my own thought is horrible. However, while we are inevitably distracted by more & more information outside and bothered by the "monkey mind", we have to concentrate on our work to make outcomes. These 2 articles describe the situation and present some ways to solve the problem. I agree with the point that one can work with the monkey mind rather than unnaturally kill it. With further thinking, I believe that if we can carefully work with the monkey mind, it may help us to have new ideas. From this point of view, I regard that distractions sometimes do good to creativity. Because most of the times, when we occasionally get innovative ideas, maybe it is just the connection of some irrelevant things. I am just wondering whether being alert even to distractions and work well with the monkey mind would benefit creative thinking.

laurapeiqian

Back to top Go down

Post by hku_fudan_cloud Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:06 am

Monkey Mind can make it difficult to focus your mind.Also, it is related to creativity and innovation.If we could "Enter the monkey" indeed,we will handle the great power of Monkey Mind.

hku_fudan_cloud

Back to top Go down

Post by dianexiadi Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:13 am

It's always easy to say "thinking" in words than actually do. There's no need to point out the importance of "thinking", but how to do it is a lesson we should learn. Thought is a double-edge sword because it may bring us creativity as well as pain. Learn to control the monkey-mind could help us relieve the pain and emphasize the synchronization of body and mind. And next time when we do the stay-alone experiment, we could not suffer from it but do meditation to focus on our body and enjoy the time.

dianexiadi

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy_Lujing Wang Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:53 am

I believe someone may have similar experience like me; you may plan to concentrate on one task and get it done a soon as possible, while once email come in, wechat message drops... I can't agree more with the point that "we shoudn't try to get rid of monkey mind but try to training the monkey mind". We couldn't deny that we need to face massive informatation everyday, It's much better to manage our monkey mind to help us multi-tasking and get innovative ideas than just suffering it.

Daisy_Lujing Wang

Back to top Go down

Post by popigao Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Scientifically, the study published on Science sounds a little extreme. I’m not sure if there was a control experiment but I do feel that a deadly quiet room is no better than a room full of light music to think or wonder freely, people WILL get nervous!

On the other hand, it is also true that people have a lot distractions in modern society and free thinking time looks really expensive. Personally I do like this because we can always get brilliant ideas from distractions, but I’m also able to set my mind free and focus on reading or thinking.

I start to wondering if I would become the outlier if I were asked to participate experiment like this…

popigao

Back to top Go down

Post by popigao Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:22 pm

Monkey mind article looks interesting, but I can’t feel it… I do know my mind leaps from a task to another during work, and my solution is to do things faster so that I can make the leap shorter. Not so sure about synchronize mind and body…

popigao

Back to top Go down

Post by HM-Mary SONG Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:27 am

Our mind is like our friend who often brings us with happiness, peace and satisfaction. However, sometimes it can become our enemy making hurts and sufferings as well. I have noticed that I couldn't just be alone doing nothing for even a short time.It is very interesting to know this is because of my monkey mind, which is a natural component of  my mind. Moreover, I've realized that I'd better learn to work with it rather than attempting to kill it which is useless. How? Let me start with taming my monkey mind first,  feel it, welcome it and try to bring my awareness back, by working with its natural tendencies.

HM-Mary SONG

Back to top Go down

2016-Monkey mind Empty Re:creativity and distraction

Post by superkellyzhou Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:37 am

laurapeiqian wrote:With the trend of information explosion, people nowadays find it more and more difficult to concentrate not to say meditation or creative thinking. I just want to know why people in old times could listen to classical music with patience while current young people can't even do one thing at a time. I myself also feel that living with my own thought is horrible. However, while we are inevitably distracted by more & more information outside and bothered by the "monkey mind", we have to concentrate on our work to make outcomes. These 2 articles describe the situation and present some ways to solve the problem. I agree with the point that one can work with the monkey mind rather than unnaturally kill it. With further thinking, I believe that if we can carefully work with the monkey mind, it may help us to have new ideas. From this point of view, I regard that distractions sometimes do good to creativity. Because most of the times, when we occasionally get innovative ideas, maybe it is just the connection of some irrelevant things. I am just wondering whether being alert even to distractions and work well with the monkey mind would benefit creative thinking.
I agree with Laura's opinion that "I believe that if we can carefully work with the monkey mind, it may help us to have new ideas. From this point of view, I regard that distractions sometimes do good to creativity." I found this very true, and I think this can be one way of "connecting the dots", if we are being alert to new things around us, and thinking outside of box, we are likely to have more creativities than sitting in the offices struggling for "New ideas".

superkellyzhou

Back to top Go down

Post by superkellyzhou Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:46 am

Unlike having the "monkey mind" during meditation, I used to have it during the workday. I was suggested to take breaks when I get too many tasks at the same time, my supervisors said "when you free your mind, the most important thing will naturally surfaces up." I found it very helpful and very much like "training the monkey". When I stop worrying about the task/issue coming up, but to focus or re-prioritise, I will be more productive. I was also suggested to take care of myself more often, to have more conversation with myself. There are so many updates around us everyday, but I think I need to take more time to sync with my own pace, to absorb what I really need.

superkellyzhou

Back to top Go down

Post by rocky_xu Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:47 am

I think Monkey mind can help us to expand our thinking way, this is really helpful to the innovation. And conceptual mind can help us to focus on the issue and find a good way to solve it logically. I always have the feeling in monkey mind, many different idea comes out and I will write it down if it is good and helpful, and after a while, I will review all these ideas and find a best way to do one thing.

rocky_xu

Back to top Go down

Post by amiechen Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:04 am

As a digital marketer, facing numerous distractions in social media every day, I have the same feeling that “It’s possible that modern distractions aren’t totally to blame.  In fact, study participants who used social media less frequently weren’t better daydreamers”. We can’t ignore all the distractions and kill our monkey mind, but what we can do is to recognize, induce, tame, and train the monkey mind to climb the right vine (for instance, the selected sensation or distraction), then pick up the fruit of the tree(for instance, big idea).
I am not sure if this is the “synchronizing mind and body”, looking forward to the class learning.

amiechen

Back to top Go down

Post by camille.chalons Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:48 pm

From my personal experience, daydreaming has always been condemned at school, and scarcely was it encouraged to be developed. Over the years, my concentration developed through thinking productiveness, which indeed excludes confronting myself to my own self. I get the feeling that when you sit alone and are allowed to let your thoughts go on, the fear of facing significant, unresolved or un-wanted-to-be-resolved questions may rise, and this fear is a good enough reason to search for distractions. What is more, I feel that concentration is much different today than it was during the teenage years: back then, may it be during school or student work, you hadn’t as much the opportunity of multi-tasking as you do today with smartphones, or more globaly screens everywhere.

camille.chalons

Back to top Go down

Post by Ji.wei Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:14 pm

I like the status of sitting down and keeping monkey mind flying. In the past a few years, some new ideas of new product came from this kind of status. Per my experience, this kind of meditation would be able to let me put all kinds of common barriers ,and all kinds of ideas ,which normally has no any relationships ,get together into a new combination. Normally I would capture and write it down immediately. It's my understanding or practice about synchronizing mind and body. But it's true that some times body goes faster than mind. Body is Keeping busy very day ,every hour ,every mintute but for nothing.

Ji.wei

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Chung Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:40 pm

As most of you pointed it out, we all have experienced the kind of train of thoughts specific to the monkey mind. Although we must beware of seeing it as a modern trend: the ability of thinking is inherently associated with reflexivity and a disruptive way of thinking. Despite digital communication tools, I'm not sure it is a bigger truth nowadays than a thousand years ago.

I certainly agree with the Washington Post's article and some of you who acknowledge the legitimate place of monkey mind in the process of creativity - by the way it is funny enough since the ubiquity of the monkey mind already questions the relevance of the word "process".

The question is: which role is the monkey mind playing in terms of creativity? Shall we foster daydreaming as a source of open-mindedness and confrontation to new thoughts? Shall we train the monkey mind in order to make room for something new? In order to create, there might be enough room to travel around and to focus here and now, what do you think?

Victor Chung

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Xu Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Monkey mind is quite common among my daily work. Normally, I feel regret after long time distraction due to this useless mind leaping. And the temper may become worse just because of thinking too much. But on the other hand, in some circumstance monkey mind is kind of future prospection and hypothesis which may benefit the reality. So definitely agree that taming and training monkey mind is much better than competing. Look forward to know more about how to implement this ability into daily work.

Emma Xu

Back to top Go down

Post by Cui Jing Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:13 pm

‘Monkey mind is a natural component of human mind’ and I believe monkey mind would result in multi-tasking at work. I felt multi tasking is inefficient and ineffective. Train monkey mind and focus on here and now.

Cui Jing

Back to top Go down

Post by miaoweichao Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:50 pm

I always experience this kind of thinking called "Monkey thinking" before bed. Before reading this two passages, I hate this kind of conceptual mind , made me awake all night finding solutions for daytime problems, however, with no results. I really want to know in detail how to “synchronizing mind and body”.

miaoweichao

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Ni Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:39 pm

More actively the human's brain work, the more creativity can be produced I think. So in such presumption, the Monkey Mind may be not a bad thing. And in the second reserch, seems the women are better for meditation than men, but who will do better in the innovations and provide more creativities? We may can discuss it in our class leaning. Smile

Nathan Ni

Back to top Go down

Post by irisgogogo Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:32 pm

In my daily work, usually, I am a monkey minder, dealing with multiple tasks. This brings some good ideas, but,it makes me less focused. I agree that monkey mind needs to be tamed by working with its natural tendencies. In this way, I can made the most use of it.

irisgogogo

Back to top Go down

Post by wqinsh Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:04 pm

Just to me , monkey mind made the negative effect rather than postive one. My job is market marketing also combine the product mangment ,as the central of Organizationan,I work with lots of funcations within the company ,further more with the distributors outsides .In another words , everyday I need to commucate with lots of person through the mail , conference call ,cold call ,visiting ,etc. which means I‘m suffing the distractions reactive if I wanna focus on some work. in addition I also suffing the concentration lacking issue for a quite long time .The result is I have to spare double time to get the half achievements comare with my staff . So I'm anxious to learn the skill how to self controll and time mangment

wqinsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next